Overpopulated parks?

Pics
People watch videos and think ducklings are cuuuuuute. And they are. But they're also a lot more work and have a lot of special requirements. If you get a new puppy or kitten, you give them a food/water bowl, a pet bed maybe a litter box and they're set. With ducklings you need a brooder, heat lamp, special food, water dispensed in a way that they can't swim in it or they'll drown/get hypothermia. They poop a lot and can't be housebroken and they're super messy with the food, water, and, yes, poop. Plus the super-adorable fuzzy/adorable stuff lasts maybe two-three weeks before they start becoming actual ducks. So a lot of people can't deal with and just drop them off at park to "live with their new duck friends" AKA die from starvation, cold, predators and getting mated to death by drakes.
Yup, Easter pets are the worst! Yesterday a lady walking by my house said she wanted to get a duck. I informed her that she has to get at least 2, they can live a decade+. I told her I'd have geese but they can live 20 years. She looked shocked. I told her to stop by when the weather is warmer and she can meet the ducks, and see how they're cared for. As duck people, I think we have a duty to inform people that poultry, just like other pets, are a commitment for the bird's life. Some people are malicious, but most are just uninformed.

@DuckyDonna Go get that little bugger! If someone asks, it’s your duck that got away. Wish I was closer, I’m always up for catching ducks!
I'd love to. I went there last fall and brought a bunch of food with me hoping I could get close enough but it wasn't even a remote possibility with that little runner. I had geese practically sitting in my lap but that runner was so skittish I couldn't get near him. People must have thought I was nuts running around after that little duck.

Do you have any creative ideas on how to catch him? We've got a big net on a pole that we used for fishing back when we had our charter boat. Do you think that would be a safe way to capture him? Not sure if the pole is long enough though but worth a try!

He'd have such a good home here with me. I've got a whole nice area and pen just for the drakes. I planted grass in the fall and it's come up beautifully now only because I haven't let any of the ducks in there yet. I really want to hold off putting them in there until they really start getting crazy with the hormones so the grass has a chance to thicken up. I will have a pool in there too. The pen door opens right into their run so they can just go out and play and probably run the fence line all day trying to get at the girls.

You are the expert on drakes so do you think my plan will work? I was wondering about alternating one drake in with the girls each day?
IMG_1455.JPG

Yup, Easter pets are the worst! Yesterday a lady walking by my house said she wanted to get a duck. I informed her that she has to get at least 2, they can live a decade+. I told her I'd have geese but they can live 20 years. She looked shocked. I told her to stop by when the weather is warmer and she can meet the ducks, and see how they're cared for. As duck people, I think we have a duty to inform people that poultry, just like other pets, are a commitment for the bird's life. Some people are malicious, but most are just uninformed.
I do that with everyone who comes to buy eggs from me. They have to meet the ducks and then they get the rundown on what is involved. People are usually surprised and impressed. One lady that came and bought eggs bought some more eggs to hatch. She was awesome with her plans and care of my little grandducks. I don't sell eggs for hatching anymore because some people just don't take care of their little ones and I just won't have it!

I'd love to. I went there last fall and brought a bunch of food with me hoping I could get close enough but it wasn't even a remote possibility with that little runner. I had geese practically sitting in my lap but that runner was so skittish I couldn't get near him. People must have thought I was nuts running around after that little duck.

Do you have any creative ideas on how to catch him? We've got a big net on a pole that we used for fishing back when we had our charter boat. Do you think that would be a safe way to capture him? Not sure if the pole is long enough though but worth a try!

He'd have such a good home here with me. I've got a whole nice area and pen just for the drakes. I planted grass in the fall and it's come up beautifully now only because I haven't let any of the ducks in there yet. I really want to hold off putting them in there until they really start getting crazy with the hormones so the grass has a chance to thicken up. I will have a pool in there too. The pen door opens right into their run so they can just go out and play and probably run the fence line all day trying to get at the girls.

You are the expert on drakes so do you think my plan will work? I was wondering about alternating one drake in with the girls each day?
View attachment 2040005
You're setup looks really nice! My construction is a little more, well, rustic! I think with separating your drakes versatility is key, and with all those posts to stick fencing to you'll be fine. You can move them around as necessary. I think catching the runner would be easier with 2 people, if you can corner him. Or use that net to corner him. Of course you want to be as gentile as possible, but I think it's better to be trapped in a net, than to be eaten by a predator.

You're setup looks really nice! My construction is a little more, well, rustic! I think with separating your drakes versatility is key, and with all those posts to stick fencing to you'll be fine. You can move them around as necessary. I think catching the runner would be easier with 2 people, if you can corner him. Or use that net to corner him. Of course you want to be as gentile as possible, but I think it's better to be trapped in a net, than to be eaten by a predator.
Yes, you're right about the versatility with this new run. I can set up fencing everywhere. And placing each of those 4 x 4's was a painful event believe me! Do you think I'll have to keep each drake by himself? What about alternating drakes with the girls?

thanks for the complement on the run. My old run looked like hillbilly haven so this was a long and painful improvement plus it's massive.

Yes, you're right about the versatility with this new run. I can set up fencing everywhere. And placing each of those 4 x 4's was a painful event believe me! Do you think I'll have to keep each drake by himself? What about alternating drakes with the girls?

thanks for the complement on the run. My old run looked like hillbilly haven so this was a long and painful improvement plus it's massive.
You could alternate them, unless somebody knows why that might be a problem. They may try to fight between the fence, requiring a buffer zone that I call a "no fly zone" There's one behind my garage.

My runs are kinda hillbilly, especially here in New England where, well simply put, some of us are snobs : ) Many fiends are mortified at the structures I've built in my yard. Fortunately I live in a not snobby town, and my husband is from rural Michigan and thinks nothing of redneck looking outbuildings!

You could alternate them, unless somebody knows why that might be a problem. They may try to fight between the fence, requiring a buffer zone that I call a "no fly zone" There's one behind my garage.

My runs are kinda hillbilly, especially here in New England where, well simply put, some of us are snobs : ) Many fiends are mortified at the structures I've built in my yard. Fortunately I live in a not snobby town, and my husband is from rural Michigan and thinks nothing of redneck looking outbuildings!
😂 that is hysterical! You should have seen mine with all white pvc pipes holding up the sagging netting. It was a mess and I'd have to bend down to get through it. I like the no fly zone and easy for me to do that too! I have plenty of fencing left over from the "Deliverance" run. I can still hear the banjos!

Back
Top Bottom