Overpopulated parks?

Heart breaking and look at that white African goose. They are very hard to find. I'd love to have a lot of property and a huge pond so I could do rescue. I actually avoid places I know have ponds because of all the dumped water fowl. Makes me feel so helpless.
If you're ever in the area...
It's one of those things I wish I hadn't seen but now that I know they are there we check in to make sure they are ok and no one is hurt and give out free meals.
Never used to be like that there, we hadn't gone in a few years and were shocked to see them all there.

That's great what your doing. There isn't a park around where we live now but back when we lived in Asheville there were many. There are ponds around but so far the only ducks I know of that have been dumped around us are Muscovy there is suppose to be a feral population but never seen them on our part of the river. I doubt many domestic ducks would live long here on the river with the predators around.

if you baught 3 ducklings at 15$ each and a 50$ it would be just over 100$... if that means picking the breed and gender its a good price and saves getting too many males or the wrong breed. But it is alot

Some hobbyists and hatcheries are good at sexing, so what they are selling for "Straight run" ducklings are all the males that are worthless to them

But as pets i think hatching a small batch on your own is the best way to go, its like watching a miracle happen as they hatch, and the instant connection is soo sweet

I'm unsure of my ability to care for actual living duckling. Fertilized eggs would be a recipe for omelets and tragedy, I suspect.

As for the ducklings, that was for two male "mixed assortment" (whatever they happened to have left over). Granted that was back in October so definitely out of season.

@johntfs where in the US are you?

I just put in a location, but Jackson, TN over in West Tennessee between Nashville and Memphis.

I ordered some Salmon Faverolles from Purely Poultry a couple years ago. I liked that they are middle man for one reason they use breeders from across the country so my chicks came from Missouri instead of further away. Maybe look at them and see what they offer. You'll still have to pay for small order but I ordered 4 and got 5 all females and they were sent on Monday and arrived here in Western NC on Wed.

I'm unsure of my ability to care for actual living duckling. Fertilized eggs would be a recipe for omelets and tragedy, I suspect.

As for the ducklings, that was for two male "mixed assortment" (whatever they happened to have left over). Granted that was back in October so definitely out of season.

I just put in a location, but Jackson, TN over in West Tennessee between Nashville and Memphis.
Your a person, your very capable of caring for ducklings! its rewarding too

That's great what your doing. There isn't a park around where we live now but back when we lived in Asheville there were many. There are ponds around but so far the only ducks I know of that have been dumped around us are Muscovy there is suppose to be a feral population but never seen them on our part of the river. I doubt many domestic ducks would live long here on the river with the predators around.
We haven't seen many muscovys around here but my mother has a bunch she feeds in FL. that live on the canal in her back yard.
We have one solo female (?) M uscovy that we've been feeding twice a week the past few years at a different pond. She's so sweet and really made me appreciate the breed a lot. She will swim from the opposite side of the pond to come say hello and get a snack.
She will disappear for weeks sometimes but thankfully always returns.

Your a person, your very capable of caring for ducklings! its rewarding too

I agree with that. It would take some effort, but sure I could care for a couple-four ducklings. Get a big plastic tub, some puppy pads, a heat lamp or electric blanket. Maybe a couple of mirrors to give them that "in a flock" feel. A feeder and waterer. I've got a good sized metal pan that would work as a pool for them in the backyard so they could swim some. Sure, I could take care of ducklings. For the 6-8 weeks that they're ducklings.

The question at that point is "Can/Will I then care for the ducks that the ducklings have grown into for the 8, 12, 15 years or so that they're going to live after that?" And my honest answer to that question in my mind is "Almost certainly not."

I'm completely fine owning the "those who can, do; those who can't, teach."

Figure I have time to look a lot of this stuff up and share because a lot of other folks are too busy working to take care of their actual ducks.
That idiom actually means.....Those without any experience are the worst teachers. ;)

While I was deep into my duckling desire/fantasy, I looked TSC and found that they sell ducklings in sets of 10. I wanted one, maybe two to start with, so that was a no go. From what I gather TSC sells to farmers and pretty much assumes that you're buying poultry to get eggs and/or meat to sell or consume. They're selling livestock, not pets.

Checking out Petco/Petsmarter, while they do sell birds, they sell parakeets and canary, not ducks or anything considered to be poultry. So as of now my duckling options are 10 or zero. Or order two or three online for shipment paying $10-$15 for the ducklings and then $50 "small order" surcharge. Plus shipping. So, nope.

Figure come Spring if I decide to "bite the feather" and get a couple of ducklings, I'll look around for private owner to see if they want to part with them for a sane price.
Tractor supply only offers straight run as well. Consider ordering from a hatchery for smaller numbers and the ability to choose sex. I used pure poultry because they will ship a small number of birds.. you will pay though if you don't meet the number of birds for free shipping. My 3 Pekins cost $80 ($60 shipping).

Back
Top Bottom