overweight 51 year old women built her own coop!

thumbsup.gif

Very impressive!! How long did all of that take you? My partner & I need to build a coop & we are trying to get as many ideas as possible. I really like yours.

Well you are to be congratulated and admired! No quilting taught you all that engineering.....you were darn smart BEFORE quilts, I'm sure!

I'm in your same age/status/sewing group (notice I didn't use the "W" word) and I am seriously planning to build a "run" to go with my coop. All I lacked was confidence that I could do it. Thank you for giving me that boost! I particularly liked the roosting bar threaded through two posts from the ceiling! That was brilliant.

It just proves that we as women can do whatever we put our minds to if we're willing to pay the price (money, sweat, time, bandaids, tetanus shot, broken nails, frustration, backache, sawdust poisoning, etc.)

THANKS

I just had a size in mind. 7 foot tall with cement foot things under LOL. didn't want it to tall to be scary to get on top of. then I knew I only wanted the inside 4 foot tall to keep heat in when winter comes. So I boxed it in. then started with bracing the top and bottom. Then got the treated plywood for the top and bottom LOL you should have seen me sliding it on top LOL took every thing I had LOL. Oh its 7 foot tall 8 foot long and 5 foot wide. I put a tarp on top as I worked on the rest. I looked at one side at a time like a quit and decided what to do and only worked on one side at a time. Drove my hubby nuts LOL he would come out and say what are you going to do on this side and I would give him a dirty look and say I don't know I am not there yet. He wanted to help but I told him it was just a big craft project and to leave me alone if it stood and did't leak that is all the chickens needed and I will learn more by my mistakes LOL. I had two old window I got for 5 bucks at a yard sale. They have been in the shed for about 4 years LOL I told hubby they would come in handy some day.
smile.png
I just had a few things in mind. I wanted it to be warm in the winter so the stall mat insalated the floor. When I got to the door side I realy didn't know what to do. I was going to make one big door till I lifted the plywood and didn't think hinges could hold it up so I put a 4 by 4 in the middle and made two. then I cut in the little chicken door LOL. I knew I wanted a vent on one side of the floor and the other side on the roof so as a piece of plywood it 4 foot wide and my coop was 5 foot wide that worked well. I just used some coated rabbit wire I had. Now I did have a slant to the roof but I guess not enough as it got heavier and heavier it leveled off LOL hubby said if we every have a tornado run for the coop as shelter LOL. So I am going to jack up the side with the door and put another brick under the cement foot thing. Yes that is what I ask for at the lumber store to they laughed but knew what I wanted LOL. Since I am not a builder I bought what I thought would make the frame. Had to go back and get more. Thank goodness the lumber store is only about a mile from my house cause I was there alot LOL I spent way to much on the coop. around 560 I think but live and learn I realized as I was working I could cut alot of corners and save money if I do it again
wink.png
I found out I really like building LOL. My hands hurt and my nails are shot but I still have my french tiped toes to make me feel like a girl LOL. This was about a week and a halfs work. I still have some chicken wire to put on the top but I am happy at how it turned out. I put four sheets of felt paper under the tin and over laped the tin 4 to 5 inches when the lumber store told me to over lap 2. I didn't want any leaks. Also there are screws with rubber things on them for tin :0 who knew and how cleaver! you will find the men at the lumber store very helpful!! they might laugh at the questions but they have the answer and get a kick out of a women determanded to build somthing on her own! the more I went down there the quicker I had help cause the guy helping me wanted up dates on how it was going LOL I saved money for about 3 months and sold a spinning wheel but by gosh my chickens are happy and dry LOL I know this is way to long but I am very excited I was able to do this LOL

Back
Top Bottom