overwintering daffodils in pots

Dec 16, 2018
west, michigan
I know we have some plant enthusiasts her so i thought i would ask here. So, I plan on planting a few daffodil bulbs in some 8 inch pots, to sell in the spring when they bloom, my idea was to get a 4 tired mini greenhouse off amazon to overwinter the pots in, will this keep the bulbs warm enough? here in Michigan it often gets to -15 in the winter, any tips, ideas, or suggestions welcome!

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 4.02.28 PM.png

I'm no expert on this, but do have some ideas/info, about daffodils. Just like tulips, they do need to go thru a freeze cycle. I have both growing in my garden, and they are in ground year-round. I know some peeps dig them up and separate the bulbs to make more flowers. I just leave mine alone.
What is your source of bulbs??? I think that stores do sell them at this time for fall planting/placing into ground. I got a few bags of them, and tulips, a few years ago, on clearance from Sam's.
I think the daffodils start growing, after ground thaws, and slightly warms up in early spring. You would have to replicate that so they start growing after a period of freeze. Bring them into less frigid garage/basement, and watch them start growing. then move outside at appropriate time.
Your area, and my are in similar temperature zone. (zone 5) Don't worry that they would over-freeze.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I might get me some tulips if I can find any, but I would like the white ones with the pink centers. Why, I don't know because I NEVER have good luck with bulbs. They always rot. Bulbs hate me. :smack Anyway, nice greenhouse, but unless you have a heat source inside it, it won't keep your plants warm enough through really cold nights.

I might get me some tulips if I can find any, but I would like the white ones with the pink centers. Why, I don't know because I NEVER have good luck with bulbs. They always rot. Bulbs hate me. :smack Anyway, nice greenhouse, but unless you have a heat source inside it, it won't keep your plants warm enough through really cold nights.
Look into this some more,,,,,,, but you being in Texas ,, tulip bulbs need to be stored in your freezes for a while, before planting. Seen that on a Gardening Show many years ago. There was also some factor that the stems grew shorter than traditional tulip length.:idunno

Back
Top Bottom