Oxford, Ohio new member


5 Years
Sep 28, 2014
oxford, Ohio
Hi all. I just. Finished my coop and run. Have 2 buffs, 1 Plymouth rock, and 1 mix. All 7 weeks. And 13 in incubator on day 20. I fear my 13 are not going to make it last night son opened incubator not sure for how long but now have no movement or chirps. :( I'm so sad I've been working so hard. Can anyone give me some advice.
They should have been on lockdown at that point. Did you notice how much temp. and humidity dropped? If they were cooler it could delay hatching but, the humidity dropping is very bad - they can become shrink wrapped in the egg and unable to get out.
Hi :welcome Glad you joined the flock. Sounds like you have some lovely birds. Try not to worry about your incubation. Chicks that are on day 20 are more able to tolerate temperature changes. These things happen so I would just try to keep your humidity up and keep the lid closed. Don't give up on them. Be sure to ask lots more questions everyone very friendly :frow
I'm not giving up just wish I'd hear or see dome kind of movement. Temp dropped maybe 3 degrees and humidity dropped a lot but not under 60.
If it didn't drop below 60% that's good I hatch at 65%. They rest a lot in the egg so maybe your just not catching them when they are moving. Wishing you the very best of luck with them.
Hello there and welcome to BYC!

I wouldn't worry about it much yet. Eggs can tolerate a long cool down. I have heard of power outages for 24 hours and still they got some to hatch. In the wild, momma hen can get off the nest for long periods of time if there are predators around. The eggs don't cool down all that fast even though the incubator cooled down. Eggs hold their temps for quite sometime. All that has probably happened in your case is the hatch will be delayed.

So just get everything back up and running. You should be in lock down now and have laid some sort of rubber shelf liner down so the chicks have a firm grip when they hatch. Get your humidity up to about 65% to 70% and do not open the lid. Don't panic when day 21 comes and goes and nothing is happening. Not all chicks hatch on day 21. That is just an average. Sometimes they can hatch 4 or 5 days later.

Keep us posted and good luck!
Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the hatch, X4, as long as the eggs were not pipped or zipping that small of a temp and humidity drop shouldn't affect the hatch.
Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I know nothing about incubating. The posters above have given you good advice.
Best of luck!

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom