Oxibendazole (Anthelcide EQ wormer)

Think about this: There are worm eggs deposited onto and into the soil by infected birds. The eggs are picked up and swallowed by birds, starting the worms lifecycle all over again. How do you break the lifecycle? Worm monthly. There will eventually be no eggs for birds to pick up because there wont be worms to lay eggs. My birds are penned and kept on the same soil, actually I use sand in my pens to deter parasites. Sand helps keep everything dry and I scoop poop several times a day as well. All of this helps deter worms. I use sand inside the coop(s) as well.
If your birds free range, there's less chance of birds getting constantly infected, depending on soil conditions and rotating areas where they forage. Keeping grass cut short helps as well as keeping everything as dry as possible.

Mine are kind of penned/free range. They roam a fenced in garden out of thier coop and run when let them out so they kind of do roam the same ground. I also clean the poop every morning.

If I were to worm monthly, how long would it be before I didnt have to worry about my birds being reinfected? Months, years, never.

Can't agree with this either. Birds of different species share worms with chickens, and there are some that have intermediate hosts (earthworms, insects, etc).
That's true, but not as much as birds kept on the same soil. Insects go in chicken pens as well, especially after feed fallen on the ground and inside coops feeding on feces etc.
Birds not so much unless there's an open air pen.

Mine are kind of penned/free range. They roam a fenced in garden out of thier coop and run when let them out so they kind of do roam the same ground. I also clean the poop every morning.

If I were to worm monthly, how long would it be before I didnt have to worry about my birds being reinfected? Months, years, never.
Again, it depends on your soil conditions. Warm moist or wet soil most of the time or all the time will require frequent wormings. Cool or cold soil, mountainous/rocky soil and desert like sandy soil doesnt require worming as much.
Since you live further north than me, start out worming your birds twice a year. Start at the beginning of spring when soil temps warm up, then before molt in the fall. Take fecals to a vet in between wormings and see where your birds are at, then go from there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom