Oxytetracycline dose (tbsp / tsp)

Everyone, as usual, please check my math and let me know if I've made an error.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

I've got 6 baby chickens whitch are a bit sick; they are sneezing, have running noses and are gasping...

Luckely I found on this forum that I should treat them with oxytetracycline (or something else like Tylan) if giving them supplemental vitamines and hard boiled eggs didn't work. So I went to get it ;)!

Now, I see on this forum that a lot of people advise to give baby chickens 1,25 tablespoon per gallon, and 2,5 tablespoon per gallon to bigger chickens (advised on http://www.durvet.com/dl/Durvet-Poultry-Brochure.pdf). That didn't seem right to me, and I started to measure everyting.

So these are my calculations (correct me if I'm wrong):
- There is 181.5 gr in a package, equals to 310 ml (I measured this in a measuring cup).
- You need to give 0,4 gr (=400 mg) per gallon to a baby chicken, equals to 0,683 ml per gallon.
- 1/8 teaspoon equals to 0,675 ml

Conclusion:
- Baby chickens need 1/8 teaspoon of oxytetracyline mixed to 1 gallon of water.
- Bigger chickens need 1/4 teaspoon of oxytratracyline mixed to 1 gallon of water.

(sorry if I made a lot of spelling mistakes, I just moved from Holland to the USA ;))

interested in the answer to this.....I have ONE sick adult chicken and I've not gotten a straight answer from anyone on converting the dosage. I called a Pharmacist, a Vet, and my own dr's office. Scary. My problem is I do not know how to convert mg into teaspoons, and then because its just one chicken and I have to make it fresh every 24 hours, I'm only wanting to mix up about a 1/2 cup at a time for her.

Last edited:
They already replied!!
And you're right, so thanks for explaining how to read it, maybe it'll save my chicks lives ;)!

The reply:
Linda, 400mg dosage is 1 and ¼ level tablespoons per gallon of water.
800mg dosage is 2 and ½ level tablespoons per gallon of water.

Go with this and mix up a fresh batch every morning.

Thank you!

HA! there it is, the exact answer I'm looking for. OMG I've been just scooping up about a 1/3 of a teaspoon and putting it into about 1/2 cup of water. it' very dark yellow. I think this is WAY too much. Am I going to kill my chicken??

oh gosh, now I'm really confused......I made a couple of posts, then kept reading down thru the thread. Do I have this right?? You guys finally settled on 1.25 teaspoons of the Oxytet podwer to one quart of water??

I'm treating a hen, she weighs about 5 pounds I guess. I know I'm not supposed to eat eggs from her, but she stopped laying when I found her injured, so when I put her back out in the coop with the others I will put her in a small cage so I can collect HER eggs and throw them away, for how long should I do this. ??

I have the exact same 10 gm bag as whats shown in post #3 with the pic of the cows, sheep, pigs etc on the front.

anxiousy waiting......

Last edited:
OMG Kathy, just read this.
So it's not 7.5 teaspoons, but 5 teaspoons per gallon!
You should think they should know everyting about the dosage exactly.
Really hope they changed it on the package (and also added the teaspoon thing instead of mg)
I'm just glad my chick survived :)

oh gosh, now I'm really confused......I made a couple of posts, then kept reading down thru the thread. Do I have this right?? You guys finally settled on 1.25 teaspoons of the Oxytet podwer to one quart of water??

I'm treating a hen, she weighs about 5 pounds I guess. I know I'm not supposed to eat eggs from her, but she stopped laying when I found her injured, so when I put her back out in the coop with the others I will put her in a small cage so I can collect HER eggs and throw them away, for how long should I do this. ??

I have the exact same 10 gm bag as whats shown in post #3 with the pic of the cows, sheep, pigs etc on the front.

anxiousy waiting......

Yes, 1.25 teaspoon to one quart gallon of water is correct!
But you said it was injured, is oxytetracycline the best choice then?

OMG Kathy, just read this.
So it's not 7.5 teaspoons, but 5 teaspoons per gallon!
You should think they should know everyting about the dosage exactly.
Really hope they changed it on the package (and also added the teaspoon thing instead of mg)
I'm just glad my chick survived :)

7.5 teaspoons is about 1200 grams, so very unlikely it would be a problem.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom