Possible coccidiosis in 3 week old baby chicks

mimifw03

In the Brooder
May 2, 2022
Hello all. I'm new to the chicken world and I am getting all kinds of mixed information and I'm at a loss about what to do. We recently purchased 10 baby chicks that were 2 days old. They are a little over 3 weeks old now. Everything was fine until yesterday morning. I found blood in the brooder and noticed one chick that was obviously not feeling well. I picked her up and there was blood dripping out of her vent. She died a couple of hours later. We suspected coccidiosis and started liquid Corid right away. Several others began to show symptoms later that day.

The dosing is throwing me off. The guy I bought them from said Corid is extremely potent and can easily kill them. He said they used 1 teaspoon in a 3.5 gallon waterer so I could only put one or two drops in their quart sized waterer or they would die. Everything I've read says to give them quite a bit more and that it's hard to overdose them on it. My neighbor whose baby chicks just had it told me to do 3 mL per gallon so that's what we've been doing and they have improved a lot, but I don't know if it's enough medication to really kill the parasite.

I also took a fecal sample to a vet today after the chicks had been on the Corid for about 24 hours. She said she didn't really see any parasites on the fecal float test, but I'm not sure which chick the sample came from. Most of the blood was gone at this point so I had no way to know if it came from a sick chick. She also told me that Corid is like an antibiotic and can help with bacterial infections too. Again, this goes against everything I've read. I saw online that it's not an antibiotic, but a thiamine blocker. She also recommended 6 mL in a liter which equates to 22 mL in a gallon which seems crazy high! The most I've seen that you should give them is 10 mL in a gallon. I will probably bring in another sample tomorrow for a smear to look for bacteria, but I don't know if I can trust the vet's dosing instruction if there turns out to be a bacterial infection.

I'm just a very lost and confused chicken mama right now. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I can't quote you the dosage from memory, but your neighbor's formula seems about right.

The seller is totally wrong, Corid is simply amprolium and not that toxic. You can eat eggs from hens on amprolium (though I wouldn't eat eggs from a sick chicken).

Your vet obviously is not an avian vet as Corid does not act like an antibiotic. It is a thiamine blocker. Coccidia are a protozoa, not a bacteria. I've never heard of Corid used for bacterial infections. Sulphur drugs or a number of the -myacins are used for that.

I'll link some veterinarian articles below that explain Corid and amprolium use for coccidiosis.

LofMc

"Amprolium is an antagonist of thiamine (vitamin B1). Rapidly dividing coccidia have a high requirement for thiamine. Amprolium has a safety margin of ~8:1 when used at the highest recommended level in feed (125–250 ppm). Because amprolium has poor activity against some Eimeria spp, its spectrum has been extended by using it in mixtures with the folic acid antagonists ethopabate and sulfaquinoxaline. The primary use of amprolium today is for water treatment during clinical outbreaks."
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/vete.../overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry#v55093921

The Chicken Chick suggests 1/2 tsp per gallon of water (which is about 2.5ml per gallon):
https://the-chicken-chick.com/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken/

Last edited:
...and from an article from Michigan State University, which is fully accredited veterinarian school

"Amprolium is not an antibiotic. Amprolium blocks the uptake of thiamine in coccidia which prevents the disease coccidiosis. After 6 weeks, feed should be gradually changed from 100% medicated to 100% non-medicated over a period of 10 days. The gradual changeover allows the birds to develop immunity to coccidia and thus also prevents the disease."

As seen above its sole purpose is the treatment of coccidia protozoan infection.

LofMc

https://cvm.msu.edu/vdl/client-educ...g-six-common-mistakes-in-small-poultry-flocks

Where are you located in the world?

Can you please post some photos of your chicks, their poop and brooder setup?
If you are using a red heating lamp, take one photo with the lamp on and the rest with the lamp off.

Corid 9.6% Liquid Dose is 2tsp per gallon of water.
OR Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water.
Give the mixed solution for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

Corid is a Coccidiostat not an antibiotic.

Thank you all! I went to a different vet this morning and got much better information. I don't think the other one even ran the right test. It's definitely coccidiosis. She said to give them 5 mL per gallon of the liquid corid.

We are in Texas. They don't have a regular heat lamp. We've been using the Brinsea Ecoglow as their heat source and they are currently in our guest room in an old pack and play that our children used as babies.

Thank you all! I went to a different vet this morning and got much better information. I don't think the other one even ran the right test. It's definitely coccidiosis. She said to give them 5 mL per gallon of the liquid corid.

We are in Texas. They don't have a regular heat lamp. We've been using the Brinsea Ecoglow as their heat source and they are currently in our guest room in an old pack and play that our children used as babies.
I'm in Houston Texas.
You do not need a heat lamp here.
You for sure you not need added heat on 3-week-old chicks in my area right now.

I also took a fecal sample to a vet today after the chicks had been on the Corid for about 24 hours.
You already got great feed back!

I have always recommended fecal floats to verify condition..

This year I discovered that the parasites can pass intermittently and NEVER show up on a fecal float. Did the vet check for protozoa which is what the coccidia are?

The same day my float came back clean a hen pooped out a large round worm right in front of me!

For THAT reason my vet recommends worming all my animals at least once per year in MY location.

I have raised hundreds if not a thousand chicks.. I have witnessed personally a chick poop blood one time and regular the next several.

If you saw blood, (which only one out of the 9-11 known strains of coccidia that effect chickens will present as) then treatment ASAP with Corid is suggested at the full drench dose. Corid is NOT deadly but coccidiosis can be very rapidly.

Noting that coccidiosis can also be overcome in mild cases by simply correcting the condition causing it.. Shavings were once wetter under neath than they appeared to be on top.. making sure they are DRY and also that WATER stays dropping (poo) free as that is how it spreads fastest.

I'm in Houston Texas.
You do not need a heat lamp here.
You for sure you not need added heat on 3-week-old chicks in my area right now.
It's a radiant heat plate that they can go up under if they want to. It doesn't heat the entire brooder. They mostly sit on top of it now, but they like to go under it at night.

Did you read this?👇5ml is around 1tsp. increase it to 2 tsp.
3week old chicks may not need any heat depending on your weather, but if you feel they need it, then make sure they have plenty of space to get away from heat.
Keep your brooder dry and water stations clean.
Corid 9.6% Liquid Dose is 2tsp per gallon of water.

Back
Top Bottom