Oy, the lonely chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mediazeal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    I have one loud peeping chick. Born yesterday and still all alone. Hatch is due today, 9 eggs still in. No pips, no rocking, no peeps.
    Still hoping.
    One very lonely, very distressed, very loud little chick.
    I have all the normal chick things, warm, water, food, plus terrycloth and an ostrich duster in with him/her.
    I dont' have any stuffed animals so put in some socks, one rolled up, one spread out to lie on, both cotton terrycloth socks.
    Any ideas?
    I did try pocket in down parka I was wearing but that didn't do it either, still peeped distressed peeps.
    heat check
    water check
    it's just lonely
    dont' know what to do for him/her

2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I have the same thing. I have a little BB Red OEGB down inside my bra. It's the only way he'll stop crying. None of the other chicks made it to hatch. This is my grandson's first chick from his trio of BB Red's so I'm going to do everything to keep it alive. I haven't had a good track record with single's making it. So if I have to carry this one down my shirt until the next batch of chicks hatch, then I'll do it. Thankfully, I'm retired!

Laurie

3. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    and my family thought I was crazy when I put the baby down my bra the other night. [​IMG]- at least I have company!

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Do you have a broody hen that you can put him/her with?

5. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    see if you can put a mirror in with the chick they will see it as another chicks and start pecking and playing with it it is very cute

6. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I guess some one needs to invent a toy hen with a heartbeat sound like they do for human babies. [​IMG]

7. TennesseeTruly

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Quote:Hmmm I'll see if that works. I had to put him in the brooder for a few minutes while I do some things with my dogs. He's hollaring his dang fool head off!

Laurie

8. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    this is actually a very common thing to do, a simple mirror and feather duster, together they can work miracles, there are pleanty of people on here that have had to do this, with alot of success

9. TennesseeTruly

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    He wants absolutely nothing to do with the feather duster. I even used some of my parrots feathers, rubber banded them together and he's not happy.

Back in the bra he goes!

Laurie

10. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    well good luck with that, let me know how the mirror thing goes if you happen to find one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by