Oyster shell preparations

SBaltz

Chirping
May 2, 2020
Dixon, California
I just started my girls on oyster shells in a separate feeder from their main food. They are 19 and 20 weeks ok and 3 have begun laying. My question is do I need to grind the shells beyond what they are in the store purchased bag? They are small, roughly half the size of my pinky fingernail, but not as small as their crumble. I ground the first batch up, maybe 2 lbs, but the dust and odor to me was quite unpleasant. will the shells be just as enjoyable to them if they are not finely ground up?

thanks!

I just started my girls on oyster shells in a separate feeder from their main food. They are 19 and 20 weeks ok and 3 have begun laying. My question is do I need to grind the shells beyond what they are in the store purchased bag? They are small, roughly half the size of my pinky fingernail, but not as small as their crumble. I ground the first batch up, maybe 2 lbs, but the dust and odor to me was quite unpleasant. will the shells be just as enjoyable to them if they are not finely ground up?

thanks!
I provide oyster shell as is straight out of the bag. Different manufactures provide different coarseness of the oyster shell. My chickens have not had any issue with using it straight no matter who the manufacturer or coarseness was..

No, do not grind it - bigger flakes are more beneficial as they remain in the digestive system longer and effectively provide more calcium.

I do keep the powdered oyster shell from the bottom of the bag but that's strictly for feeding to birds that won't eat oyster shell at all, as the powder is easier to mix into wet feed.

Back
Top Bottom