oyster shell ?????s

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mgw, Jul 30, 2010.

1. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    So yesterday I mounted a rabbit feeder in the coop to feed oyster shell. thwy already have it scattered all over the place. is there anything we can do to stop this, or should we just mix it in with the feed? if we do mix it in with the feed what is the proper ratio ie; 10 poinds shell per 50# bag of layer ect. it is fairly expensive to just end up in the composter. TY in advance for any thoughts, ideas, & tips.

2. mgw

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    any advice would help.

3. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I screwed a tuna can to the post by the feeder and keep it filled....put it just high enough that they can peck it...not bill or scratch it out.

4. friskebluegills

friskebluegills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    I would mount the feeder up higher like the previous person said. We have something a lot like a rabbit feeder and they don't scratch it out. Our local feed mill makes their own layers mash with oyster shell and everything in it and they still manage to scrap it out or they just leave it at the bottoms of their feed troughs, so to add it to their feed would probably just be a waste. Plus if it's seperat, they'll pick it when they need it.

5. mgw

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Boo-Boo's Mama :

I screwed a tuna can to the post by the feeder and keep it filled....put it just high enough that they can peck it...not bill or scratch it out.

I put up the rabbit feeder, when i could of just put up a tuna can. Less waste if they do bill. I truly am a genious!! did I spell that right?​

6. mgw

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Quote:T/Y I was wondering about that glad I didnt try it so I will move it up higher and see if that works. thanks again

7. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    You have to move here to the East Coast.... I grab a bag or two from the beach and pound them with a hammer.... Cheap and they love it!!!!

8. mgw

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Quote:that would be nice cause i pay like 8 $ for 5 pounds

9. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Man, I bought oyster shell today and the smallest they had was 50 pounds. That is seriously crazy. They will never eat it all.

10. mgw

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Quote:so you got a lifetime supply LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by