Oyster shells tested for heavy metals?

"Flame Photometry" Its a physical and chemical process including disolving in various acids which transforms the original specimen, allowing its total calcium to be determined by way of the calcium oxide product created during the transformation proceses when then exposed to flame and the wavelengths of emitted light are then recorded.

Yes, your quote is from this source. Keep reading.

QUOTE:
The study conducted by Smith and Wright (1962)[17] in Crassostrea virginica was used as guideline for the present study. In the present study, among the chemical constituents analyzed like Calcium, Carbon, Sodium, Magnesium, Sulfur, Strontium and Moisture, Calcium and Carbon were present in high concentrations while all the remaining constituents were observed at low values below 1.5%. The concentration of Calcium carbonate in the shell of Crassostrea madrasensis constituted 91.36% by weight of the shell. This was lower than the value in Crassostrea virginica by Smith and Wright (1962) who recorded it at 95% by weight of the shell.

Smith and Wright (1962)[17] found that the Calcium (CaO) content in the shell of Crassostrea virginica was 54.6%. In the present study for Crassostrea madrasensis, the percentage concentration of Calcium (CaO) in the shell has been recorded at 47.49%, which is a 7.11% variation between the two species. Concentration of Total Carbon at 43.87% was observed to be very close to that of C. virginica at 43.5%. The concentration of Sodium (Na2O) in C. virginica was 0.32%, while in this study for C. madrasensis it is 1.12%. The analyzed value of Magnesium (MgO) in C. madrasensis shell was 0.619%, which is comparatively larger than the previous study

According to Smith and Wright (1962)[17] the Sulfur (SO2) and Strontium (SrO) of C. virginica are 0.16% and 0.12% respectively. But for C. madrasensis, it was observed as 0.403% and 0.02% respectively for these two elements. The concentration of moisture showed a slight variation between the two species, 0.58% in C. virginica and 0.804% in Crassostrea madrasensis.
/QUOTE

The Potential Use of Oyster Shell Waste in New Value-Added By-Product (at page 3)

he cleaned oysters can be reused in several applications. The principal component (approximately 96%) of oyster shells is calcium carbonate (CaCO3), which can be used in various sectors; for example, the construction industry, as an aggregate of limestone for cement, and even the pharmaceutical industry, as a calcium-enriched supplement [4,13].
/QUOTE

Etc...

That's a might fine virtual shovel you have there, perhaps you should stop digging?
No, instead I want to thank you. If I’m wrong, call me out. I’m not going to insist on being right..my error was wanting a quick fix to my arguments and not reading further than seeing my own viewpoint validated. I’m wrong, so, I’m sorry if I got snarky, it’s not worth it. I’ll bet you have a buttload more experience with chickens than I do, and I want the benefit of that, that’s why I came to this site. Whatever I’ve said that’s offensive to you, I’m genuinely sorry. I’m a science guy..if there’s information I lack or something that changes then I want to change too. Have a great day..

No, instead I want to thank you. If I’m wrong, call me out. I’m not going to insist on being right..my error was wanting a quick fix to my arguments and not reading further than seeing my own viewpoint validated. I’m wrong, so, I’m sorry if I got snarky, it’s not worth it. I’ll bet you have a buttload more experience with chickens than I do, and I want the benefit of that, that’s why I came to this site. Whatever I’ve said that’s offensive to you, I’m genuinely sorry. I’m a science guy..if there’s information I lack or something that changes then I want to change too. Have a great day..

I'm mostly not wired to care about others opinions of me - my frustration was from my choice to invest my time, and link the basis for my opinions, in what appeared a Sysiphean effort against willful ignorance. [an assessment which was wrong, I'm a poor judge of people] In short, I was irritated at myself for bothering, when I have other things to do. Also a "science guy", and appreciate being called out when I'm wrong, too.

Link sources whenever possible. Not someone else's summary of the source, much mischief is often done in the translation, as some of the sites you linked to amply demonstrated. I've only been doing the chicken thing for 16 months now, and have only been deep diving how to feed them for the last couple/few months. I read. A lot. No reason you can't read the same sources I have and come to your own conclusions, the only thing I've invested in the effort is my time.

and for what its worth, I don't feed my own chickens they way I recommend most backyard owners do - but my management of my chickens is not the same of most backyard owners. Longevity is not in my flock member's futures, so I can mostly disregard long term health problems from some dietary choices. I think I understand the risks, and am willing to live with them - if I'm wrong, I'll adjust.

"The dosage is the poison" and all.

Welcome to BYC. Most of the people here are better humans than I.

Last edited:
Not looking for a powder, no where did I say that, and not a she. But hey, who’s interested in accuracy, or civility?
Oh for pete's sakes... Okay, not a powder specifically, a calcium supplement that is not an oyster shell. Which typically would end up being powders. Good lord.

I apologize for mis-gendering you, it was not intentional.

I'm mostly not wired to care about others opinions of me - my frustration was from my choice to invest my time, and link the basis for my opinions, in what appeared a Sysiphean effort against willful ignorance. [an assessment which was wrong, I'm a poor judge of people] In short, I was irritated at myself for bothering, when I have other things to do. Also a "science guy", and appreciate being called out when I'm wrong, too.

Link sources whenever possible. Not someone else's summary of the source, much mischief is often done in the translation, as some of the sites you linked to amply demonstrated. I've only been doing the chicken thing for 16 months now, and have only been deep diving how to feed them for the last couple/few months. I read. A lot. No reason you can't read the same sources I have and come to your own conclusions, the only thing I've invested in the effort is my time.

and for what its worth, I don't feed my own chickens they way I recommend most backyard owners do - but my management of my chickens is not the same of most backyard owners. Longevity is not in my flock member's futures, so I can mostly disregard long term health problems from some dietary choices. I think I understand the risks, and am willing to live with them - if I'm wrong, I'll adjust.

"The dosage is the poison" and all.

Welcome to BYC. Most of the people here are better humans than I.
Hey..just found an interesting article..learning more every day..I think I’m liking my choice 9f (allegedly and hopefully) pure calcium carbonate..
https://www.feedstrategy.com/poultr...iets-limestone-is-not-just-calcium-carbonate/

Hey..just found an interesting article..learning more every day..I think I’m liking my choice 9f (allegedly and hopefully) pure calcium carbonate..
https://www.feedstrategy.com/poultr...iets-limestone-is-not-just-calcium-carbonate/

Theres an OLD study out there comparing oyster shell and limestone. For all that limestone is bascially preassured, heated shells now amalgamated together as rock, and largely calcium carbonate in composition, the study found hens fed it had slightly reduced frequncy of lay and quality of shell. Its something I intend to dig into deeper once I'm satisfied with my studies into amino acid composition of proteins for poultry feed. But this will be one of my jumping off points - I'm curious as to why this might be, if the compositions are so close. Hope it helps!

Thasnks Mosey, that's helpful. I know there are some mineral ratios that matter too, like the ratio of calcium to ???phospherus??? in the total diet. Another area I intend to study further, and right now know only that its a subject for study.
Yes, calcium and phosphorous are very important to keep balanced correctly.

We have our stone tested because we sell it as crushed aglime for crop fields and there is a lot of science involved there too.

https://www.feedstrategy.com/poultry-nutrition/in-layer-diets-limestone-is-not-just-calcium-carbonate
Oh for pete's sakes... Okay, not a powder specifically, a calcium supplement that is not an oyster shell. Which typically would end up being powders. Good lord.

I apologize for mis-gendering you, it was not intentional.
Well..looking at the picture I posted of the allegedly organic calcium carbonate, the particle size is quite coarse. Sorry if it sounded snarky..not my intention!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 3
Well..looking at the picture I posted of the allegedly organic calcium carbonate, the particle size is quite coarse. Sorry if it sounded snarky..not my intention!
Yes..is the product calcium organic because certified organic appears on the label, or..is it just that the mill is certified, or does the fact that the mill is certified, does that mean it’s organic..seems confusing..

Back
Top Bottom