Oyster shells vs egg shells

Ja Mee

Chirping
May 27, 2022
Do oyster shells and eggshells get the same result? My 6 gals are not laying yet, but I want to know all I can about supplementing calcium. I have access to lots of eggshells. Do they need oyster shells as well?

Oyster shells provide more calcium than egg shells and sit in the digestive tract longer for more absorption. If you're feeding layer feed only, the egg shells from your own birds will probably be sufficient. If you're not using layer feed, then you'd likely need the extra calcium from oyster shells.

I offer both oyster and egg shells, when I have them. I notice mine eat more egg shells, maybe because they need the extra calcium, or because they prefer the taste(?)

Oyster shells provide more calcium than egg shells and sit in the digestive tract longer for more absorption. If you're feeding layer feed only, the egg shells from your own birds will probably be sufficient. If you're not using layer feed, then you'd likely need the extra calcium from oyster shells.

I offer both oyster and egg shells, when I have them. I notice mine eat more egg shells, maybe because they need the extra calcium, or because they prefer the taste(?)
I think the smaller shells are a bit easier for them to eat. Mine go ape for shells, but tend to waste most of the oyster, especially the big pieces

Do oyster shells and eggshells get the same result? My 6 gals are not laying yet, but I want to know all I can about supplementing calcium. I have access to lots of eggshells. Do they need oyster shells as well?
I have always (as in many many years) fed oyster shell, it may just be my crazy way of thinking, but if they develop a liking for eggshells being fed to them will they start breaking eggs in the nest to eat the shells? It's just a thought I have always had.

I think the smaller shells are a bit easier for them to eat. Mine go ape for shells, but tend to waste most of the oyster, especially the big pieces
Mine haven't had "complaints" with oyster/sea shell sizes but most of my batches seem pretty consistently sized (no really big pieces). So I break up my eggshells into similar sizes since my flock is fine with that.

If your chicken likes Oyster shells, then good for you. Know that oyster shells are necessary for chickens because they supply 20 times more calcium to their eggs than their bones do. But in case they don't like it, I found a product that has calcium too that you can give to your chicken. I don't think you have heard already about GrubTerra products? They offer treats that reach in Calcium. I do not have all the data, but you can check it on their website. https://grubterra.com/

Back
Top Bottom