Oyster Shells?

AChickenLoverProduction

Chirping
8 Years
May 20, 2011
San Antonio Texas
This may sound like a newb question but! What is the best way to get my hens to eat the OS? Do I mix it with their laying pellets, dump it on the ground, or a seperate bowl? Their shells are getting very fragile, and squeezing just alittle hard they break. So Thanks for any info, and tips!

D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif
wee.gif

I put mine in a separate bowl. My chickens really like oyster shell. Every time I put the oyster shell in my hand, they eat it up like it's a treat. The oyster shell is working well, I'm getting strong eggs. I feed unmedicated starter due to the ages in the flock.

I pour it into a metal dog dish and keep it next to the feeder. The birds seem to know what it's for. You could try mixing it with feed, in the ratios on the bag, if you feel your birds aren't eating enough of it.

We had ours in a separate bowl but I've gone back to mixing it in with their feed in an attempt to get more of it into our elderly hen who lays shell-less eggs more often than not. I just sprinlkle a soup spoon full in the feeder once a week or so.

I'm having a similar problem. I have gotten two soft and broken shells.
barnie.gif
I mix OS into their food and give it to them in a bowl. I'm not quite sure what is going on. We had a very bad summer and lost 13 hens (heat, hawks, & goats)
hit.gif
Only 3 of my older ladies are still with us and 12 young pullets. They are 4 months old, could soft shells be due to the fact that they are young? I've found the eggs under the roost, not in the nesting boxes, so I'm pretty sure it is a young lady.

Back
Top Bottom