Oyster shells

crooked stripe

Songster
12 Years
Jan 14, 2008
N.E Ohio- Suffield
Are there any other uses for oyster shells other than chickens? I wanted to purchase some at the feed store and I have to buy 50lbs for say $13. I can order smaller amounts on the web but once you add shipping, it costs the same. With my 7 hens it would take a life time to use 50lbs and in that time most would be wasted. I have tried baking egg shells, then grinding them up and they won't touch them. Anyone have some ideas? John

My feed store would open a bag of it, scoop out how many pounds I need, and put the rest in a bucket. They sell most stuff by the pound. I would see if there are other stores that do the same or just switch to layer feed that has extra calcium in it.

If you want to do the eggshells thing, try putting it into their feed. I can't think of any other uses for oyster shell, except I think it can be used in the garden.

I will try the scrambled egg mix. They love scrambled eggs. I will also try putting the shells in the feed. I looked up oyster shells on google and there is a site for oyster lime. I just picture it as a powder that I have seen the farmers spreading it on there fields. I presume they are spreading lime. I can find the oyster shells that are sold in the city feed supplies but once I travel the 40 miles and at the price of gas I might as well buy 50lbs. Out where I live the only thing the feed stores are selling in smaller amounts are bird seed and dog and cat food. John

Hmmm... I'm a big online orderer myself. A good way to get what you need and cheap is to make a list of ALL the things you need and will use. Once you get a certain price point most online marketers will ship free or discounted for a large purchase.

The cheapest fastest way would be to dry their own shells and mix it with their feed or the eggs.

John,
If your using commercial laying feed they are getting plenty of calcium. Unless they are free ranging all the time. Unless you have some sign of a problem ( thin, soft, broken shells)
My 2 red sexlinks started laying at just under 16 weeks with out any laying feed, There shells were hard as a rock. They have been laying an egg a day each ever since. Now if I could get the rest of the girls 2rir, 4LH, 1bsl to get with the program
idunno.gif

50 pounds is not as much as you might think in volume, and will not take a lifetime for 7 hens to eat it up if offered free choice, but may take a few years.

I have the 50 pound bag and I have 8 hens. I have had the bag for a year and it is 1/3 gone or so? I just fill up their oyster shell feeder when I see it is empty.

Since it doesn't spoil, why don't you get the bag, fill up a smaller container to use and tuck the rest of the bag somewhere in the corner of the garage or out of the way space, then you will have it when you need it later.

One less thing you need to keep buying!

A very simple solution for you!

Buy some fresh oysters in the shell. Cook and eat oysters. Break up shells with hammer.

I've always saved clam and oyster shells to use for ornamenting the garden, so I've found that now that I've gotten the Girls, I have a supply already!

Back
Top Bottom