Pa College Search

Becky89*

Songster
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
pennsylvania
I am currently running around trying to find a college that was right for me, I was all set and ready to go to school at the local Clarion University but because of Pa raising their standards I am 2 points to low to be a freshmen for the upcoming fall semester at Clarion. I am scared out of my mind that I won't have enough time to apply to anymore schools. I had been accepted to Clarion but then I recieved a letter yesterday saying that because of the raise in standards they don't want me to attend.

hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
now what am I going to do!!!

I hope you applied to more than one college. Here's some good advice that I got many many years ago:

Apply to at least 4 colleges (this was in the olden days, when incoming college classes were smaller, less competitive--it's probably more like 8-10 now). Take a long hard look at your grades and SAT scores and extracurricular activities, and then the profiles of the schools that have your major. Then eliminate those which do not have good financial aid, because money issues will really determine where you can and cannot go.

Out of four, send one application to a school that you absolutely are 100% sure you'll get into, such as the local state school or community college. Send two applications to schools that you are likely, but not guaranteed to get into. Send one application to a long shot that is still within the realm of possibility. In modern times, that's probably more like two shoe-in applications, six might-get-ins and two long shots.

It may well be too late to apply for the fall semester of another school, but you can likely still apply for spring semester 2010. If you take summer classes, you'll be all caught up with everyone else in fall 2010. Another option would be to go to state school for a semester or two--private schools will then mainly consider your transcript from the state school rather than your high school work or any point systems as admissions criteria. Yet another option would be to sign up for some in-between-school-years activity like the Peace Corps or AmeriCorps; the pay is lousy, but it looks really really great on a college application.

Here's a story that will clue you in to how old I am. But some things never change.

I was all set to attend a PA college. I had my roommate and everything. I had gotten early admission so I was set in October of the year before I was to go.

Then Ronald Reagan got elected. (see I told you I was old)
old.gif
One of the first things he did was slash the federal higher ed budget.

So in JUNE, I got a letter telling me I now had to come up with almost $9,000.00 dollars more! Or I could not go. My federal aid had vanished.
hit.gif

There was no way and I was sure I was going to be working at K-mart come fall.

But, I started calling all of the schools I had applied to and sending them letters. I applied for every scholarship I could get my hands on.
caf.gif

In August another college sent me a letter saying they would accept me for the fall class if I would be a work study student. I jumped at it!
wee.gif

It was alot of work and I was very stressed. But, in the end it worked out fine. I didn't go to the school I had chosen first, but I never transferred. I settled in just fine.

OK, you got a kick in the teeth. Cry, stomp your feet. Feel sorry for yourself for one day.

Then get to work.
big_smile.png

I have WHAT in my yard? :

Here's a story that will clue you in to how old I am. But some things never change.

I was all set to attend a PA college. I had my roommate and everything. I had gotten early admission so I was set in October of the year before I was to go.

Then Ronald Reagan got elected. (see I told you I was old)
old.gif
One of the first things he did was slash the federal higher ed budget.

So in JUNE, I got a letter telling me I now had to come up with almost $9,000.00 dollars more! Or I could not go. My federal aid had vanished.
hit.gif

There was no way and I was sure I was going to be working at K-mart come fall.

But, I started calling all of the schools I had applied to and sending them letters. I applied for every scholarship I could get my hands on.
caf.gif

In August another college sent me a letter saying they would accept me for the fall class if I would be a work study student. I jumped at it!
wee.gif

It was alot of work and I was very stressed. But, in the end it worked out fine. I didn't go to the school I had chosen first, but I never transferred. I settled in just fine.

OK, you got a kick in the teeth. Cry, stomp your feet. Feel sorry for yourself for one day.

Then get to work.
big_smile.png

I have applied to 6 other schools so I am awaiting to see what they say. Willamsport and Lock haven were my second and third choice so I hope I get a good letter from them.
fl.gif

I have grant money ready and waiting and I also recieved a scholarship for being in 4- H so that is helpful and my uncle is paying the rest!!!​

Back
Top Bottom