packing peanuts

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Chicken Rob, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Chicken Rob

Chicken Rob Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2008
    i just recieved my order from ideal . came with 13 barred rock "Males for warmth ". i want to fatten them up for slaughter latter . i have been feeding them broiler crumbles . will they even be worth doing ? when should i slaughter? i really didnt want any roos , my 30 hens are enough .

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I have been thinking the same thing. I have 14 Packing Peanuts. I am not sure if they are Barred Rock Males or Black Sex Link Males, but either way, I think they will be good for eatting. I think I have read on BYC that most butcher at 18 - 20 weeks. But I am not sure. I will wait with you for others to reply.

3. Poler

Poler Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    Switch em over to Layer crumbles, its got a higher protien, they'll get fatter faster. I butchered several of my extra roosters at 15 weeks and they were to small, the only dressed out at about 2 pounds each. You wont get alot of meat off them, but with 13 of them, you could make a few good dinners out of them.

Depending on how long you let them grow, you could get a nice decent sized bird, just dont expect what you see at the store out of your birds, and you'll be fine. Be sure to let them sit for a few days, and put them in a marinade or brine solution. They'll be tender.

Hope this helps.

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:layer feeds have LESS protein than broiler and starters. protein does not create fat. carbs can be processed then stored as fat.

Barred Rocks will not be a meaty bird, and it will take 15-17 wks. for a decent size.(and the drumsticks may be tough.) it will cost more to raise them than feeding a bird meant to be a broiler.

5. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    Would the calcium in the layer also hurt them? Or are the not living long enough to realize the potential damage?

Maybe you can butcher them much earlier to get a 'cornish hen' sized bird - wasting less money and still getting a little something extra...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by