Paging Folks in Wisconsin & Minnesota ... How's the Weather???

chickenfeathers

Songster
12 Years
Apr 24, 2007
Virginia~Blue Ridge Mountains
I'm worried about all of you...
sad.png

caf.gif

event.png

It's warmer this morning! Wind died down! Mist in air-oh, oh. That means the roads conditions won't be good. I checked the road conditions on the state's web-site and it says the main roads here are ice covered and hazardous. I guess we will be missing breakfast with Santa.
sad.png

Forgot to mention- We had to shovel our way into the main barn and the chicken coop!

Last edited:
Let's see....we were dumped on! We have at least 8 inches of snow outside along with ice and gusty winds. Very miserable! My DH is plow driver for our township and his plow truck blew a valve this morning trying to get the roads clear. He barely made it back home with it. Cannot wait to hear the phone calls that will be coming in from angry town residents wanting to know why the roads aren't plowed yet........
And this truck has to be towed 60 miles away for repairs on a Sunday...and being that it's the engine, it could be quite awhile. People will not understand this though.
So how are WE faring??? Winter so far hasn't been too much fun here! We also now will get to shovel our very large driveway by hand.....no snowblower.:mad:
Oh, and I still have to get to work 20 miles away this afternoon....happy Sunday!

Last edited:
7 inches of snow. Chickens refused to come out until I shoveled the run. Ice crust on top of snow. Had straw bales on several sides of the run. Also stored 1/2 dozen bags of leaves in run. Once I threw a bag out they were all standing on those. Except for the Silkies, they want no part of it!!
Ready to do some ice skating and cross-country skiing later.
clap.gif

We are in the all clear this morning.
frow.gif

I think its lovely out,it's all white, the wind has died down and the temp is a mild 20*F.

We have the proper equipment for snow removal so the driveway is not an issue for us.

The girls are all snug in their coop and not too interested in coming out.....I hope they do tho... I have visions of them takng dust bats in the snow...lol.
D.gif

I have to drive to the airport in Minneapolis this afternoon. My daughter is flying in from Denver. Sounds like her flight will be on time and the roads are in decent enough shape.
Truth be told....come hell or high water (or 4 foot of snow!!) I'd be there to pick her up....I'm so excited to see her!!!!
wee.gif

Normally snow removal is at the bottom of our list of concerns, with having the town snow plow at our disposal.....but when it goes down after a big storm...thats no fun. Then.....they called out the town's grader to clear the roads,and hubby just got a call that they blew a hydraulic line and he has to go help with that! Wow, gonna be some pretty angry people if their roads and driveways dont get plowed! But, what can ya do, except get the stuff fixed as soon as possible? Some people seen to think we just wave a magic wand and the snow is gone.....

Quote:
Geez, breakdowns are never fun, much less two. My DH was pumping manure pit yesterday in the storm and had trouble with one of the tractor's fuel line freezing up. Glad he did it yesterday though, he would have trouble getting out to the field today! Good luck with the fixing and plowing.

Yup, lots of snow and an ice crust on top. I started shoveling yesterday, just to go out to the coop and save the pullets. They don't quite have the hang of this weather, yet. The early part of the day, they were enjoying the half of the run that now has a tarp over it. After it started getting worse, I didn't see them on the coop cam for awhile, so I went to check on them. They had sought cover under the patio table that's in their run, in the end that doesn't have a tarp over it. There was fairly deep snow all around it, between them and the clear end of the run. They were stranded in this little clear spot, in the middle of a blowing storm. After I got them over to the clear end of the run, I let them stay out a bit, then tossed them through the pop hole door. They were just standing around looking miserable and, well, kind of stunned!

They still haven't gone outside today! They were looking out the pop hole door and complaining so loud this morning, that I had to turn the sound down on the coop cam! When it first got really cold it bothered them, too, but they adjusted to it. After a couple of days, when the snow still doesn't go away, I think they'll start going back outside.

I'm just glad we didn't lose electric service. I hate when that happens! We always stock the kitchen up before a storm and hang out at home. The dogs don't even want to be outside, with all the icy snow. When it's fluffy stuff, they have a lot of fun. Fortunately, the parts for the new computer got here Friday, so that's been keeping the DH busy. Although, he's been doing a bit of snow removal this morning.

Oh I feel for you guys - I'm sure our time is coming, we had some ice yesterday, but not much at all.

We just got a snow plow attachment for our 4x4 quad. So clearing our LONG driveway will be cold, but it shouldn't take too long. It would take 4 - 5 hours with a shovel!.....

Back
Top Bottom