Pain Meds for Dogs - Need Advice

With HQ I used both Rimadyl and Tramadol; not together, of course. He got to the point where Rimadyl was no longer as effective as it used to be. It was effective, but eventually it just wasn't enough. One benefit is that the dog will eat it. Tramadol had to be disguised. The Tramadol worked for a bit, but HQ reached a level of pain that couldn't be managed.

While I don't recall the name of the med off-hand, there is an injectable. I briefly considered it, but I knew that HQ's time left was limited. For me, the cost of the injectable was just too much.

Ms.FuzzyButts :

I don't know about long term. But both my labrador and my Sheltie/german shepard mix have taken Rimadyl 100mg chewables for pain. I think the longest stretch of time was 2 - 3 weeks. But other than being really mellow and sleeping, I saw no adverse effects. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and your precious pet that you find something that works for her.

The Rimadyl was really keeping my dog's stomach messed up, so the vet took him off. His stomach tolerated Tramadol better, but I'm sure just like people, different dogs have different reactions to different medications... (wow... 3 differents
tongue.png
). Of course I don't know about long term affects of any of them.​

If you give buffered aspirin or aspirin with a pepsid, you should be OK. I have given it to several dogs this way and never had any trouble with it.

The NSAIDs are frequently tolerated just fine but kidney/liver function should be closely monitored by your vet. One of my dogs went into full liver failure after a short course of Rimadyl, and I understand Rotties do not tolerate it well, but many dogs do. The best thing about NSAIDs are the actually reduce the inflammation that is the source of some of the pain, and not just mask the pain. You can do the same with steroids.

Lots of different meds out there for pain only, of which Tramadol is currently one of the most common. You should go to opiates as the pain worsens. Dogs can actually tolerate fairly large doses of buprenorphine and the like and it should totally eliminiate the pain. You want the dose to cover the pain but leave her alert enough to interact with you.

I gave injections to my old dog with cancer for several months and it made her quality of life good right up until the end.

Last edited:
Tramadol and rimadyl can be used togethor and are really great at taking away the pain. I have a dog with a spinal injury called cauda equina. Its a nasty one and will eventually cause me to have to put her down. Tramadol works differently on pain receptors than the rimadyl. I use tramadol myself and on the days its not enough adding an anti-inflammatory increases its pain killing abilities greatly. Rimadyl and tramadol work the same way togethor. Good luck with your lurcher

I have my senior dog on a daily pain med. It's a low dose. I was worried about keeping him on long-term meds, but I want him to have a good quality of life. It's not fair to keep him in pain just because I'm worried about possible liver damage. Quality over quantity.
smile.png
I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the med, but I will look when I get home. I also do yearly bloodwork to see how his liver is handling it. So far no problems.
smile.png

Thanks for all the information. I'm taking it all 'on board', as they say. At this point since the dog has good days and bad, and I've just spent $8oo on my other dog at the vet, I'm going to give her baby buffered aspirin as she needs it until I have enough money back in the coffers to get her blood work done and then decide what prescription we can try. Yesterday she was sore. Today, so far, she's not so bad. I've also bought her some MSM which supposedly helps with joints and inflammation.

I have an older dog as well. He is a lab retriever mix. He has a spine that is fusing together and arthritis. We have had him on tramadol (which I believe blocks pain recepters in the brain) and rymidol together. No bad side effects, but he does need his liver function tested from time to time. He does very well on these together.

We just started our almost 7 yr old Newfie on Metacam yesterday and he's on his second loading dose of Adequan - had x-rays yesterday which showed severe spinal arthritis. He couldn't walk yesterday until last night.

Crappy part of aging animals
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom