pain relief for chickens

Use the aspirin in water for pain (as noted above, 5 regular [325 mg] aspirin [no substitues] crushed per gallon of water). Rescue Remedy is generally for calming - haven't heard it affiliated with pain relief so I wouldn't rely on it exclusively with your chick that no doubt needs assured pain relief asap. The combination of the two remedies may help your chicklet get through this tough time.

Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy is one - are in an alcohol base, and so are usually better tolerated by our animal friends when they are mixed with water. RR also comes in a spray mist. With chicklets, I'm not sure it's a good idea to spray anything, in case it could complicate their respiratory well being but you might spray a few minutes before the chicklet enters an area so the mist has a chance to settle. See www.rescueremedy.com for more info on this product.

I hope your little munchkin heals beautifully and is playing before long.
JJ

When I was researching pain medications for my hen that had crop surgery, meloxicam (Metacam trade name) came up as the current favorite for birds. I comes in liquid form, fairly bland taste so should be easy to mix in with food. Your vet may have some as it is commonly used in dogs/cats and he should be able to look up the dose for birds.

* I was kinda wondering about the aspirin dosage myself. 5 reg tabs @ 325 mg. per adds up to almost 13mg. Per Oz. In a gallon of water. Isn't that alot for a 3-5 lb. bird?? Much less a chick???

*How much is 454 grams of body weight?? I'm horrible with metric. . .beyond 30ml. generally.
idunno.gif

d.k :

* I was kinda wondering about the aspirin dosage myself. 5 reg tabs @ 325 mg. per adds up to almost 13mg. Per Oz. In a gallon of water. Isn't that alot for a 3-5 lb. bird?? Much less a chick???

Please do not exceed the recommded dosage of 25 mg. per pound of bird per day (crush and dissolve in the amount of water you think the bird will drink that day) ...as far as the five grains of aspirin goes...one five grain aspirin is equal to 325 mg.

Overdosing your bird will cause organ damage and respiratory acidosis:
http://www.ivis.org/advances/Beasley/Cpt4/IVIS.pdf

Aspirin is not advised for long term use and MELOXICAM (at 0.5mg per kg weight of bird....a kilo is 2.2 pounds) would be a better choice if it is at all possible for you to get this from your vet http://www.research.psu.edu/arp/anesthesia.shtml#painrelief

Last edited:
Hi Diana, The aspirin dose that's oft been repeated on BYC for years - five 325 mg aspirins crushed per gallon of water (with big chickens drinking more than little chickens and thus more or less automatically adjusting the dosage for their body weight). Does this comport with the numbers you advise? I've given out this info since I've seen it for so long on BYC - Wes and others - just want to be sure it's still the prevailing thought! Thanks. JJ

Yes, RR is used for calming or relief of stress - which can cause alot of pain. I've seen it sold as Calming Essence.

That is why I said I use it personally for pain relief. I know that it helps when aspirin, tylenol or other pain relief meds don't.

We have the spray bottle here - I used it on the cat last month. It was alot easier than trying to get a few drops in his mouth. The downside is that it burns a bit more than the drops and smells more brandy-like (the base for RR).

We use an older bottle of RR, mix it half and half or so with distilled water to dilute it and mark that bottle 'animal use'.

But mostly we don't use anything unless an animal looks like it is in pain. And then, we use RR to help it stay calm and let nature take its' course.

Back
Top Bottom