pain relief for chickens

Thank you ole crone! I try to use homeopathic medicine for all of us, including the dogs, but only have chicks right now. I read so much advice about chemicals, but I got chickens so I could raise them naturally as much as possible. I would love to see more homeopathic advice here, if you could be so kind!

Quote:
That dosage originates from MSU "Solutions for Poultry" (five to one gallon water)... it must be said that an ill bird will usually drink less (and it certainly is not going to drink a gallon!)and therefore overdose may be for that reason unlikely however I had several members pm me to research that dosage and that is when I found the advice given in my previous posting... when you do not want to risk overdose...if there is even a hint of organ involvement or if your bird is thirsty and drinking excessively then do not exceed that recommended dosage I gave in my post.

Last edited:
I use Rescue Remedy for my animals also. I use it anytime one of my chickens is hurt and I need to treat them. Recently I needed to remove imbedded dead tissue from the wing of my rooster. He was very agitated, because I caught him and then the dog jumped on me (the same one who caused the injury to my rooster in the first place, bad puppy!!!) Sunny Boy was very frightened and fighting me, something he usually doesn't do. Within a few of minutes after putting two drops on his comb and one into his beak, he calmed down and I was able to work on his wing.

I was prescribed metacam and then rimadyl. If it doesn't heal, my hen with a broken femur had surgery including a metal plate and screws at UCDavis Veterinary Teaching Hospital in Davis, CA, so maybe something can be done if the wraps and splints don't work. Best of luck!

I was prescribed metacam and then rimadyl. If it doesn't heal, my hen with a broken femur had surgery including a metal plate and screws at UCDavis Veterinary Teaching Hospital in Davis, CA, so maybe something can be done if the wraps and splints don't work. Best of luck!
I know it’s a very old thread but I’m just curious, was this operation extremely costly? I called this hospital today to ask prices for euthanasia for one of my super sick chicks and they quoted at $350. I can’t inagibe how much an actual surgery would cost there...

Thanks for the quick response. This vet did say to use the aspirin, but he was not a "bird vet" and I didn't know if he actually knew or not. I did discontinue the baby motrin and will switch over to the aspirin tonight to keep her comfortable. He did also mention that in addition to her leg being broken at the hock, the tendon, flexor tendon I think that is what he said, was damaged thus she is not able to flex her foot or grasp onto a perch with that foot. He wrapped the leg from the top of the hip to the foot in order to stabilize it and straighten out the broken leg. He did not recommend amputation as it is a final step with no going back. She has actually grown and has put on more weight which I think is a contributing factor in the refracture of the bone. It did stabilize initally after the original break, but now that she is going on 4 weeks old, her leg just couldn't stand the additional stress/weight. Being that the leg is wrapped from top to bottom, ambulation is almost nil. I'm trying to keep her as immobile as possible while keeping her comfortable, fed and hydrated. I had thought of getting her a chick buddy since the local hardware has gotten chicks in for easter. Thought on the companionship issue?
Birds from places other than proffesional Breeders buy in large amounts that alot of times are not healthy. If you do what you are thinking of, i suggest keeping them seperate for a couple weeks. Just an opinion from a 15 year chicken breeder! Kindly JJ

Back
Top Bottom