Paint genetics with silkies

I think that no matter what theory you go with a paint paired with a recessive white will not give paint chicks, the other bird has to be black (or black based at least- blue might work) or dominant white.

Where the two theories (there are paint splits vs there no paint splits) differ is if those chicks could produce paint when bred to one another/back to the rooster.

Hope we're finally starting to answer your question.

You might be interested in this response i got on the spectacular silkies thread, seems to be saying no paint splits, but that perhaps some genetically paint birds look either all black or all white so may behave like a paint when breeding:

I just started breeding paints recently but I'd be happy to explain it as I understand it.

If you consider a white split a bird with 2 copies of dominant white from paint parents, a black split a bird with two copies of black from paint parents, and a paint a bird with one copy of dominant white and one copy of black then this chart is only half accurate.

I don't really use the term split myself since it indicates the bird/other animal is carrying one copy of a recessive gene that needs two copies to show. Paints generally do not behave that way (there have been some anomalies but they seem to be rare).

I'll use the terms on the chart for simplicity sake though.

On the chart Paint x black split and paint x paint is accurate from my understanding.

Black split x white split should only give you paints.

white split x white split should only give white split.

I think the confusion happens because some birds that are genetically paint (one copy of dominant white and one copy of black) are very poorly marked and may appear completely white. They are mistakenly called white splits and if bred to a black then you can get black and paint from that breeding, and when breeding to a white split you could get some paint offspring.

As far as breeding two black splits together and getting paint it most likely won't happen but this is where the anomaly I mentioned comes in. I have heard it can rarely occur. I remember Judy Lee the one who started the US paints mentioning she has had some paints out of her black splits. If I'm remembering right she mentioned something like 95% hatching black but a few hatching as well marked paints. It's just idle speculation but it makes me wonder if occasionally you'll get a bird that is genetically paint that won't express the dominant white for some reason??? Interesting stuff for sure! :)

They're just the original "breed" over here that had the paint pattern and bred like our paints using dominate white.
Not many people over here have them and not many people understood what exactly they were and how to breed them.
If youre into paint silkies they're something to look into for for the patterns sake.

Can somebody please just answer this one question: can I take a paint rooster and breed it to a recessive white hen and get paints?
Depends on what the recessive white carries. To be 100% paint you need a solid black, otherwise they will be leaky paints. if leaky paints(showing degree of gold leakage) are okay with you then only 50% will be Paint. The other 50% will be Black with some leakage

The Exchequer Pattern is very similar to the Paint pattern but based on a pronounced/hysterical mottling base, search for Exchequer Leghorn and Exchequer Japanese to see the patter

Hard to give an answer to your question without understanding exactly what your "paint" rooster is genetically.
With your description of how your paints breed and what the results are I would have to say no that pair wouldn't produce paints.
But again that's just trying to piece together what your rooster is.
Paints here do breed 100% paint if you breed a black to white.
I have no idea what your paints or the OPs paints are.
From what they described and with you talking about blacks being splits it really sounds like you'll are breeding a type of mottled birds.
Something like exchequers. Which in my opinion would be a smarter way to go then using DW.
Does you'll paint pens produce solid white birds? Do you know you'll use DW?
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but you’re saying that a white bird that comes from paint breeding (Paint roo x black hen) is then a dominant white? I had a white come from my paint breeding and assumed she was no longer useable. But if she’s a dominant white- I have a black cockerel I’m able to cross her too...

Attachments

• 6D9719F0-7EA8-4D9B-BBDA-8DDD01421F01.jpeg
    6D9719F0-7EA8-4D9B-BBDA-8DDD01421F01.jpeg
    552.2 KB · Views: 8
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but you’re saying that a white bird that comes from paint breeding (Paint roo x black hen) is then a dominant white? I had a white come from my paint breeding and assumed she was no longer useable. But if she’s a dominant white- I have a black cockerel I’m able to cross her too...
Paint is already dominant white. It’s both dominant white and black. Paint x black will not give you any “pure” dominant whites, the chicks will either be paint (part dom white and part black) or just black. A white from a paint x white or paint x paint breeding can be bred to black or paint to create more paints.

You should not get a pure white from a paint Xs black.
Either she's recessive white which means both parents carried recessive white or she's a paint that actually covered all the black.
Yes use her with your black cockerel.
If they throw any paints she's a paint.
If they throw no paints disregard her.

You should not get a pure white from a paint Xs black.
Either she's recessive white which means both parents carried recessive white or she's a paint that actually covered all the black.
Yes use her with your black cockerel.
If they throw any paints she's a paint.
If they throw no paints disregard her.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom