PAINT SILKIE BREEDING

Thanks @Ada06 and @The Moonshiner for your great posts! I was not getting any notifications for this thread and just saw it now. šŸ˜Š I just hatched a single paint chick from the eggs (second batch) and good to know I can use ANY black silkie to create more paints! Much easier to find a black silkie then a paint one around here.
I understood that paint silkie breeding was the same as Erminettes. I heard some people are trying to bring those back.

Yes many have no clue about paint genetics.
That article was written by someone that has very recently gotten into them and is clearly misinformed and spreading misinformation.
Even the breeding chart is incorrect.
The paint pattern and breeding for it isn't anything new. Hatcheries sell a bird called Austra Whites. They're a hybrid and the same pattern genetics. There was a breed a long long time ago based on the same pattern. Maybe if you're interested in learning you can research it.
There were a couple versions but the black and white ones were the same as silkie paints. They were called Erminettes.
I agree with this

Please share your results of your breedings! I am obsessed with breeding for paint and love to hear about breeding results!
Hey there, can you please let me know how to get a paint silkie.. im getting obsessed with how to create apint babies for breeding. no one in my area seems to have paints, just blue black splash and whites.
If a white and black can create a paint, how is no one creating them?

Hey there, can you please let me know how to get a paint silkie.. im getting obsessed with how to create apint babies for breeding. no one in my area seems to have paints, just blue black splash and whites.
If a white and black can create a paint, how is no one creating them?
Recessive white doesnā€™t work for creating paint, and recessive white is more common in Silkies.
Dominant white is co-dominant, meaning in the heterozygous form it still shows up, just not as much.
Recessive white is recessive, meaning in the white doesnā€™t show up in the heterozygous form.

Black silkies can occur from a couple different genetic combinations. Extended black is easiest to work with in my opinion, non extended black relies on other genes to make it darker. If the person you got them off doesn't know what the black is, it will take test breeding to figure it out.

With white, you have recessive and dominant white. One test breed with a black silkie (that you KNOW is not a carrier of recessive white!) will tell you what you have. If the babies are paint, your white is a dominant white. If any babies are black (should be all black if the black silkie is not a recessive white carrier) then your white is a recessive white.

Dom white + Dom white = Dom white
Dom white + Paint = 50% Dom white, 50% Paint
Dom white + Black = 100% Paint
Paint + Paint = 25% Dom White, 50% Paint, 25% Black
Paint + Black = 50% Paint, 50% Black

Also you CAN use other colours in place of black. If you breed Dom white to Splash, 100% of the babies will be Blue Paint. Dom White HEN X Chocolate ROO = Paint Roos, Chocolate Paint Hens.

I have a very leaky coloured paint roo with a mixture of black, red and gold where normally just black is. This means his base colour is NOT solid black.

Think of the colours as layers on a painting.

The base colour, in this case black, goes on first.
Then you add any genetics that cause the base colour to change (black extenders such as charcoal or melanotic, and dilutions such as blue or chocolate)
Then you add the white layer. If its a solid white, such as recessive white or double dosed dominant white, then all those other layers can no longer be seen. If its a single dose of dominant white, you leave gaps in the white. These gaps show the layers beneath!

Last edited:
How do you know if you have a dominant black or white? I have a black girl and a white roo.. would that breed a paint?
Black is black. There's no "dominate" black.
To know if a white is recessive white or dominate white you'd have to know the genetics in it's background or test breed it.

Black silkies can occur from a couple different genetic combinations. Extended black is easiest to work with in my opinion, non extended black relies on other genes to make it darker. If the person you got them off doesn't know what the black is, it will take test breeding to figure it out.

With white, you have recessive and dominant white. One test breed with a black silkie (that you KNOW is not a carrier of recessive white!) will tell you what you have. If the babies are paint, your white is a dominant white. If any babies are black (should be all black if the black silkie is not a recessive white carrier) then your white is a recessive white.

Dom white + Dom white = Dom white
Dom white + Paint = 50% Dom white, 50% Paint
Dom white + Black = 100% Paint
Paint + Paint = 25% Dom White, 50% Paint, 25% Black
Paint + Black = 50% Paint, 50% Black

Also you CAN use other colours in place of black. If you breed Dom white to Splash, 100% of the babies will be Blue Paint. Dom White HEN X Chocolate ROO = Paint Roos, Chocolate Paint Hens.

I have a very leaky coloured paint roo with a mixture of black, red and gold where normally just black is. This means his base colour is NOT solid black.
Can you explain further about the others genetic combinations besides extended black to create black?

Back
Top Bottom