Paint Silkies - Is my Roo a Dun / Chocolate? Blue Paints

CiaBia

Songster
Feb 12, 2018
Miami, Florida
Sorry if I'm in the wrong section, but didn't quite know where this one belonged. I acquired two separate flocks of paint silkies after being on a long lasted silkie-hiatus. I ended up with numerous paint hens, as well as a "black split paint" rooster and a "white split paint" rooster. I paired my hens with the black rooster (I heard black is favored in paint pairings) and was very surprised by what I hatched. I've been hatching for several months now from this group and have consistency produced around 1/2 paint and 1/2 BLUE chicks! No black chicks, no white chicks. I did a double take on the rooster and, with my limited genetics knowledge, thought he may be a chocolate / dun rooster. My oldest paint grow-out from this group is a blue paint, and many of the chicks following look to be the same.

I contacted the person I originally acquired the rooster from and they said he came from shipped hatching eggs from a paint pen, and was the only survivor. They said that they didn't think chocolate was in the mix, and that black splits hatch out blue and darken as they age? I'm guessing that last part isn't correct, and he is intact some variant of blue. If anyone with better knowledge on how paint silkie work could give me more insight, I'd great appreciate it!

Also, I'm quite confused on if 'paint splits' actually exist?

IMG_6340.jpg IMG_6341.jpg IMG_6337.jpg IMG_6333.jpg

Some photos in different lighting. He used to have a much fuller head but the girls have done a number on him.

IMG_6023 4.jpg

A batch of chicks from this group. Lighting isn't the best, but the two chicks at the top are blue as well.

IMG_6322.jpg
And lastly the oldest paint chick produced from this group, blue paint.

Last edited:
Your “black” rooster is actually blue. He looks chocolaty because of brassiness, which happens sometimes in gold-based blues. As to why all of the solid-colored offspring produced are blue, I guess it’s just luck.
Your white may have splash underneath, you never know.

No, blacks and whites can’t be split to paint. Either it’s there or it isn’t. Paint is incompletely dominant, so it can’t hide under black or white.

Your “black” rooster is actually blue. He looks chocolaty because of brassiness, which happens sometimes in gold-based blues. As to why all of the solid-colored offspring produced are blue, I guess it’s just luck.
Your white may have splash underneath, you never know.

No, blacks and whites can’t be split to paint. Either it’s there or it isn’t. Paint is incompletely dominant, so it can’t hide under black or white.
Thank you!! After getting blue chicks I was almost certain the roo had to be blue, or at least blue based. I've hatched close to 50 chicks now from this group and they have all been either paint or blue, so that does continue to stump me!

As far as the split paints, that does make a whole lot of sense. I kept seeing conflicting answers on that subject and didn't know which was true. Incomplete dominant sounds like the answer to me!

Thank you!! After getting blue chicks I was almost certain the roo had to be blue, or at least blue based. I've hatched close to 50 chicks now from this group and they have all been either pain or blue, so that does continue to stump me!

As far as the split paints, that does make a whole lot of sense. I kept seeing conflicting answers on that subject and didn't know which was true. Incomplete dominant sounds like the answer to me!
Good to see I answered your question! Yup, two incompletely dominant genes at work here, blue and dominant white/paint.

Good to see I answered your question! Yup, two incompletely dominant genes at work here, blue and dominant white/paint.
You definitely did! It looks like I will be on the lookout for a quality black or blue rooster to pair with my paint hens then, as a brassy blue does not sound like something I want to breed towards. I do have a white, white sizzle, or a splash roo I can sub in for the meantime. Decision time!

Back
Top Bottom