PAINT SILKIES!?!?!

I apoligize but if you bred the other way around useing a barred roo, I think you would get crele.

I can see what you're saying. What I know about silkies could be written on the back of a postage stamp.
tongue.png

Unless I'm completely wrong about the genes in red & cuckoo silkies. The restricting genes from the red would push the black towards the back of the bird & the reds other than sex linked gold would probably show on the head & breast. But it wouldn't be a proper crele.​

Great think about silkies are they are fun to learn... I've learned a lot here, and a few things from some local breeders. I am dying to start expanding my silkie flock and try new breeds one day. I am a pure fan of the white silkies (especially freshly bathed ones!!!) and the buff. I like the really pale buff. My current ones are pretty dark... and a few more shades and they'd be red. I however am not a fan of the red.

The cuckoo silkies are fantastic looking birds. I love them... but I'm sure my next adventure into breeding will be the b/b/s.

Quote:
I can see what you're saying. What I know about silkies could be written on the back of a postage stamp.
tongue.png

Unless I'm completely wrong about the genes in red & cuckoo silkies. The restricting genes from the red would push the black towards the back of the bird & the reds other than sex linked gold would probably show on the head & breast. But it wouldn't be a proper crele.

I agree it would not be a true crele but probaly the closest color to describe the results. You might know this one but I would think that if you took it a step further and bred the crele looking offspring back to buff you might get some buff barred but may have to breed the extra black or grey out of the tails. I dont know a whole lot about silkies but am just trying to apply some rules from other projects I did in the past with some standard breed chickens. I'm thinking most the color genetics would still apply.

You might know this one but I would think that if you took it a step further and bred the crele looking offspring back to buff you might get some buff barred but may have to breed the extra black or grey out of the tails. I dont know a whole lot about silkies but am just trying to apply some rules from other projects I did in the past with some standard breed chickens. I'm thinking most the color genetics would still apply.

Sounds like it would work. I wonder what buff cuckoo silkies would look like.
wink.png

Y'all are mixing up the two common sex-link genes.

Barred hen on a black or blue male will give cuckoo males and solid females.

Silver hen on a gold male will give you golden males and gold females--for silkies, the best bet here is probably to use a grey hen and a red or red-partridge roo. The problem is that you may well end up with some red wing bows (autosomal red) in the boys. You could try using a buff with even colouring, that may work. But your male offspring will not be a normal colour.

On crossing cuckoo male on buff Orp female I was surprised to find some of the offspring, both male & female had orange heads & down into the breast & back onto the shoulders. I have since seen other photos of similar results.
I could only guess that non sex linked reddening genes along with the restricting genes would be what caused this. Otherwise I'd have expected all cuckoo offspring & no gold in the female offspring.

Last edited:
Genes for silkies work the same way as they do for all chickens. If they didn't silkies wouldn't be chickens
wink.png

However, because of the silkie feathering, the appearance is often different--patterns are muddied. A barred, not cuckoo bird will look cuckoo because of the silkie feathering--no way to make crisp bars when the individual feather strands fly all over the place with every puff of a breeze.

Likewise, lacing doesn't show well.

The E-allele for a chicken can make a great deal of difference in how the various patterns and gene combinations express. Many of the colour patterns are built on E, E^R or e+. Most silkies have an e^b base.

Back
Top Bottom