PAINT SILKIES!?!?!

The last one looks the closest to what people call paint. What are the genetics?

The genetics are erminette on the last one.The dominate form of pied [ exchanger].It has taken a year and a half to unravel the mystery of what gene was involved.It came from some araucana roosters.The araucana people are calling what they have splash blue cuckoo and their birds may well be.By breeding mine I found erminette to be involved.The ones carrying cuckoo and erminette look like theirs.

Looking to acquire some paint silkies. Can anyone direct me to a breeder in upstate New York? Would prefer to pick up rather than ship. Thanks

There is no standard, but I don't think black with white spots would be considered paint. White with blue spots is documented, and I had a paint with chocolate spots. Some feel that paint with buff/gold spots is possible. Personally I am skeptical from the photos I have seen that it is the same thing at all.

Last edited:
I have just bought 2 silkies that look as if they are cuckoo. they were supposed to be splash. but they have lines on their feathers,.....I also haven't found any babies that have these face markings. Does any one recognize this look? The Buff ones have dark marking on the wing feathers too, almost looks like black strips, but they are big stripes, not little narrow ones like the greyh ones. Perhaps my babies are mixed? I didn't think so, but I don't know for sure, only what the breeder told me. that they are silkies.

Thanks,
is blue and grey the same? I know that blue, black and splash all come out of the same clutch,.....but their heads are so much lighter than the normal greys I've seen.
Mandy

Back
Top Bottom