Painted metal roof?

Pat and chickens: You mention the need to have roof insulated in Michigan, because of winter and condensation. I did insulate my roof in the coop, but have a 2 ft. overhang on each side that is not insulated. This was to protect outside nest boxes and a storage area. Do I need to insulate the overhangs ?

Just worried about my chicks.

Quote:
Nope, any condensate that forms out there (and there should be next to none, or *none*) will drip or evaporate harmlessly away. It is only *inside* the coop that condensation is a problem and thus that insulating a very thin conductive roof or wall is a priority. (And even that, only in cold climates. Of course in hot climates people may wish to insulate the underside of the roof just for temperature reasons!)

Pat

when you insulate tour roof be sure to leave some space between the roof and the insulation. this will let air in over the insulation and help keep it dry there by incresing the life span of your roof. if you do not maintain this space moisture can form and couse mold and early roof dimise

Back
Top Bottom