painting coop dark or light?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by abhaya, Nov 10, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I am getting ready to paint my new coop. I have a forest green paint and a white paint both are outdoor paint both are barn and fence paint. My ? is should I go dark and have a summer screen wall so it does not get too hot but warm in winter with solid walls or go white. It has a Dark Roof.

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It doesn't really matter unless the walls are naked metal. Pick whatever you like to look at [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:Hmm, I dunno Pat. Down here in south Alabama painting things dark colors whether they're wood or metal does make a difference in regards to solar gain and heat build-up along solar/heat damage to the surface and substrate.

In our area we have a higher cooling requirement than we do heating requirement so keeping the solar gain to a minimum is a good thing...I'm not so sure how that goes for Tennessee, though. I'll be painting my coop white with lots of roof overhang...if it ever gets built. [​IMG]

What a person likes to look at is definitely a worthy consideration, too. [​IMG]

Ed

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    How about green with white as a trim! That would be pretty!

5. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    For Alabama, I'd go white, with green trim.

6. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    HI,
    I would use white paint. If there are any flies or other bugs in the coop they will be easier to see.

7. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    From everything I've read on here, chickens have a much harder time tolerating the heat than they do the cold. I'm from the north and so, like chickens, have a harder time tolerating the high temps, so I can sympathize with any creature ill adapted to the heat! We once visited TN in May, and we thought the temperature was uncomfortably hot. I vote for the white paint! [​IMG]

8. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'd take a seperate bucket and dump a bunch of white in and then add a good amount of green in (to your taste). Then paint the coop that medium shade, trim with white mostly and have some dark green accents. IMO. Wouldn't involve you buying any more paint either.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Your problem is going to be heat, not cold. For chickens, Tennessee is far from cold. You will want the screen wall (hardware cloth is a lot more predator proof than screen.)

10. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    I agree with ddawn about using the screen wall...the more ventilation in the summer...the better. Also, ddawn's point about using hardware cloth is an excellent point.

Down here the sides that are most important are the south and west sides...the other two sides don't catch the solar radiation as much.

A few questions...
    How big is your coop?
    What direction from the coop does your run go?
    Is your run covered?
    Any shading nearby (trees, building, etc.)?

Ed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by