What type of wood and how thick for walls and the roof?

Chicks in VA

Bantams are the best👍😁
Mar 27, 2021
take a guess
Wondering what type of wood to get that is a good mix of durable and cheap for the walls?
I am probably going to paint or stain it weather its treated or not ( just trying to make it match/ pair with my barn)

For he roof I want a sturdy / durable wood that will last and won't rot In the next few years. (I do plan on adding shingles )

Thanks , all advice is helpful!

For the roof id get OSB. It's going to be covered in felt paper and shingles. Lots of houses roofs are sheathed with it.

For the sides, get what matches the other structures.

The most common structural wood is SPF (Spruce, Pine, Fir). These species grow well in North America and are commonly available, therefore the least expensive. Pallets will usually be made from SPF.

Agree with @mowin use OSB+roofing membrane+shingles (or metal) for the roof.

Roof support framing can be 2x4s assuming light snow loads. Use 16"OC and/or 2x6 for heavier loads.

Walls can be 2x3 or 4 on 24" centres for framing if you are using 4x8 sheets (OSB makes poor walls as it deteriorates rapidly when wet). Shop hard and find plywood on sale and give it two coats of exterior paint or stain.

You only need treated wood for anything that touches the ground.

Last edited:
Metal is not as nice as plywood to live under for the chickens.
Make the roof with a large overhang. It makes the coop last longer.
This isn't cost effective but I was thinking , plywood with metal on top .
My reasoning is it will match our barn plus I think it will be better for collecting rain water ( I want to have 1 or 2 rain barrels)

For my walls I used 2x4 and T1-11 sheeting, my floor used 2x4 then sprayed it with flex seal, my roof I used 2x2 and metal sheeting. The other day they reported up to 60mph winds and no issues.

Back
Top Bottom