What type of wood and how thick for walls and the roof?

Chicks in VA

Bantams are the best👍😁
Mar 27, 2021
take a guess
Wondering what type of wood to get that is a good mix of durable and cheap for the walls?
I am probably going to paint or stain it weather its treated or not ( just trying to make it match/ pair with my barn)

For he roof I want a sturdy / durable wood that will last and won't rot In the next few years. (I do plan on adding shingles )

Thanks , all advice is helpful!

Metal is not as nice as plywood to live under for the chickens.
Make the roof with a large overhang. It makes the coop last longer.
This isn't cost effective but I was thinking , plywood with metal on top .
My reasoning is it will match our barn plus I think it will be better for collecting rain water ( I want to have 1 or 2 rain barrels)

The most common structural wood is SPF (Spruce, Pine, Fir). These species grow well in North America and are commonly available, therefore the least expensive. Pallets will usually be made from SPF.

Agree with @mowin use OSB+roofing membrane+shingles (or metal) for the roof.

Roof support framing can be 2x4s assuming light snow loads. Use 16"OC and/or 2x6 for heavier loads.

Walls can be 2x3 or 4 on 24" centres for framing if you are using 4x8 sheets (OSB makes poor walls as it deteriorates rapidly when wet). Shop hard and find plywood on sale and give it two coats of exterior paint or stain.

You only need treated wood for anything that touches the ground.

Last edited:
If roofing membrane+shingles will be added, do they need to have the OSB underneath? or can it be something thin and light like MDF? or HW cloth? sorry if this is a stupid question.

There has to be wood underneath to have something to nail to.
OSB is bare minimum. Plywood would be preferred. Roofing nails are a ring shank nail which has ridges on the sides of it to help prevent pull out as opposed to a smooth shank nail.

If roofing membrane+shingles will be added, do they need to have the OSB underneath? or can it be something thin and light like MDF? or HW cloth? sorry if this is a stupid question.
Never a stupid question!!

MDF does not stand up to moisture, bad choice when edges are exposed..

You need a solid base to attach the membrane and shingles to. HW cloth does not provide that.

There are roofing sheets that are a rough finish plywood but more expensive than OSB.

Some would argue that the membrane is not necessary but an extra layer of waterproof material is well worth the cost of a 4' roll.

Never a stupid question!!

MDF does not stand up to moisture, bad choice when edges are exposed..

You need a solid base to attach the membrane and shingles to. HW cloth does not provide that.

There are roofing sheets that are a rough finish plywood but more expensive than OSB.

Some would argue that the membrane is not necessary but an extra layer of waterproof material is well worth the cost of a 4' roll.
Thank you, that makes sense. I was thinking of the prefab coops that have very thin roofs. I guess the asphalt roof is glued onto the thin wood.
264453b2-957f-4764-8048-28deee26b8bf.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

The "shingles" in the pictures you included is rolls of a base material with small crushed stones applied via "tar" or glue.

Where that is used in my location it is often referred to as "ice & water" membrane; usually goes underneath shingles or metal sheets. Waterproofing.

Guessing that the use of it per above is a cost cutting step.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom