Painting the outside of my coop

Chickie Patty

Hatching
Jun 29, 2016
We just built our Chicken Coop and did not have time to paint the outside before we got our chickens. What type or brand of paint can I use. I do not want to hurt my babies!!

Thanks.

We built it out of Plywood. Not sure if I can use Latex or Eco Satin. I live in a small town that does not have a lot of choices. I could order on-line.

If it is simply plywood, you could use all exterior latex paints. Latex primer and one or two topcoats of exterior latex. These will dry pretty fast, so should not be a harm to the birds. If you want to paint the inside, do it the same way. Latex primer, then a single coat or so of high gloss bright white. You want the inside to be bright and well lighted, which mainly applies in winter.

Unless this is an heirloom quality project, any old paint will do for a chicken house. Pick your color and slap it on. Some of the more interesting and attractive houses I've seen here were done using bargain basement paint returned to the stores when the color didn't match, so the stores send it out the door pretty cheap. Those are sometimes then mixed together to make "one time" custom blends by the builders. Lots of options, but again, unless this is a quality project, I would not worry much about the paint. You may be building a bigger and better house next year!
wink.png

Behr Barn and Fence paint. Classic red barn look and the paint is specifically livestock safe when dry. Home Depot carries it, and depending on where you live, they'll ship it to your door.

They also have white, if you want to add white trim, or use it to paint the inside. Red paint here and white paint here.

It's what I used on my coop and it looks great and is holding up great. The red went on easily with a thick nap roller and one coat did the trick. The white did need two coats with the el cheapo brush I was using. For my 8x12 coop I used a gallon of red and barely any white.

I did let the girls back into the run too soon after painting the side that's in the run. A couple of them brushed against the wet paint with their sides and smudged a tiny bit onto their feathers. It's been 9 months and that silly red paint is still on them, which speaks both to the fact that it was harmless to them and it's freaking durable, what with surviving probably hundreds of dust and sand baths.

PS I do not work for Home Depot nor Behr.

Last edited:
Thanks Ksguy for your info as well. Your coop looks fantastic!

Patty

You're welcome, and thanks for the compliment on my coop. My disclaimer is it started out as a garden shed that came with our house, I just modified the interior, added the nest box, and replaced the old sagging rotting doors. No way I spent the money to build something that big for ten chickens. :)

Back
Top Bottom