Pale Comb After Respiratory Infection

CrazyMountainChickenLady

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2021
Alright so our chickens have been fighting a respiratory infection, we have treated with oxytetracycline & they are all on the mend & doing well. The only issue is one of our chickens has a really pale comb & cheek area. She is drinking & eating but still really pale is there anything I can give her or do for her or will it just take more time. We are giving electrolytes & vitamins too.
Thanks!🐔

Just be aware that respiratory infections are a permanent lifelong disease. It’s chronic- meaning birds can get well on antibiotics, but whenever a stressful event occurs, symptoms may come back. All birds that are exposed or infected, are lifelong carriers. Please don’t breed from your birds, since some respiratory diseases can be passed to the offspring (via inside the egg) and make any chicks that happen to hatch, already infected with the disease. Keep a closed flock until your birds pass on their own. Your other option is to cull, disinfect and start over within 3-4 weeks.

As for the paleness of the comb, this could be due to blood loss. There’s an uncommon disease I’ve heard about, called Infectious Anemia, it’s a chronic disease that causes birds to lose too much blood cells from the disease. Coccidiosis, internal or external parasites or even internal bleeding can also cause paleness of the comb.

Just be aware that respiratory infections are a permanent lifelong disease. It’s chronic- meaning birds can get well on antibiotics, but whenever a stressful event occurs, symptoms may come back. All birds that are exposed or infected, are lifelong carriers. Please don’t breed from your birds, since some respiratory diseases can be passed to the offspring (via inside the egg) and make any chicks that happen to hatch, already infected with the disease. Keep a closed flock until your birds pass on their own. Your other option is to cull, disinfect and start over within 3-4 weeks.

As for the paleness of the comb, this could be due to blood loss. There’s an uncommon disease I’ve heard about, called Infectious Anemia, it’s a chronic disease that causes birds to lose too much blood cells from the disease. Coccidiosis, internal or external parasites or even internal bleeding can also cause paleness of the comb.
Thanks so much for your reply and yes I know they are lifelong but it will be just fine we don’t breed or sale chickens or anything like that. Definitely not going to cull when they are acting fine just couldn’t do that.

Back
Top Bottom