1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pale combs??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Dec 1, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    ive just taken in 3 hens. the owner said he had 5 but 2 died, and as he couldnt afford to treat these 3 he'd prefer they go to someone who could.
    anyhow ive looked them over, no mites, no lice, nice and well fed, no 'off' looking poo, the only 'symptom' that stands out is that all 3 have terribly pale combs, one worse than the other two. two have a pinkish pale comb, the 3rds comb is nearly a greyish blue colour.

the guy couldnt give any specific detail on how the other 2 died, he said in the morning they were fine, in the evening they were dead in the run

i have no idea how old they are, i forgot to ask, i think they are all sisters, sussex breed (white with black flecks round the neck?)

any ideas?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/2/2-5/Laura_E_John.html

If
    it were me, I would still treat for mites. I would use Sevin dust or whatever is available (maybe a pour on medication that also will worm them).

The reason I say this is that my hens had the northern fowl mite, and the only reason I knew about it was

1. The hens started shaking their heads a lot as if something was on their necks.
    2. I spotted northern fowl mites on me and in my house- (and yes they are gone now from my house).
    3. I always make it a habit to check my chickens for mites and lice when I pick them up - under the wings etc.

I NEVER saw any mites on the chickens. Never.

And yet, after I treated with Eprinex pour on, permethrin dust, and Sevin dust (and permethrin spray-in the coops), the head shaking disappeared, and I stopped receiving bites and being itchy when caring for the chickens.

If they are anemic it could actually kill them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by