Pale faced hen

retiredbeba

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 2, 2017
We have a small Dominique that's about 1 1/2 years old. I don't think she has ever laid an egg. Several months ago she started looking sickly, and we noticed that her tail feathers were always wet with feces. My husband picked her up and we noticed that the opening to her vent was all crusted up and was very small. We soaked her rear in warm water and scraped off the dried on stuff. She seemed to look alot better. She always eats and drinks well, but usually keeps to herself. Recently we've noticed the coloring in her face turning to a pale almost grayish color. We still don't think she is laying. We wormed once with Wazine last year, but don't like discarding the eggs, so we've recently tried garlic and cayenne. Any clue as to what can be wrong with her?

G’Day from down under retiredbeba
frow.gif
Welcome!

My first thought was worms. Second thought was external parasites, lice or mites. However, I am definitely not an expert when it comes to what ails chickens and I recommend posting your question on the Emergencies & Diseases Forum where you should get some good advice: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with your girl, I do hope that she is OK.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif

Sorry to hear your girl is having trouble. Give the members that hang out on the ER thread a try, there are some very knowledgeable members there.

Best of luck to you & your girl.

Thank you, Tella. She's pretty skiddish and hard to catch, but we will surely check for external parasites. They get about 5 hours to free range during the winter and we have a dusting box in the coop for them to use. We just need to catch her and take a closer look at her. Plus, we're not sure how old she is. We bought her from a couple that had bought out a whole hatchery, so she wasn't a chick when we got her. I have really enjoyed reading all the great information on this website. Thanks again!

Thank you, Tella. She's pretty skiddish and hard to catch, but we will surely check for external parasites. They get about 5 hours to free range during the winter and we have a dusting box in the coop for them to use. We just need to catch her and take a closer look at her. Plus, we're not sure how old she is. We bought her from a couple that had bought out a whole hatchery, so she wasn't a chick when we got her. I have really enjoyed reading all the great information on this website. Thanks again!
Sorry for misspelling your name Teila! My eyes are not working too well this morning! :)

Thank you to Teila, redsox, drumstick diva, and NFC for the wonderful welcome. I enjoy learning as much as I can about our sweet girls and how to keep them healthy. Thanks again for your help!

Hey there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens!!! I am so glad you decided to join our big, happy family! Please make yourself at home and enjoy yourself here! :frow

~Cuz

Welcome to BYC I am sure you will find an answer on the link Teila gave you, this site is very informative. I recently got a new chick and she was covered in lice had to keep her separate for days untill the lice went, but she wasn't grey - think there maybe something else wrong.

Back
Top Bottom