Pale white/ opaque light yellow yolk?

chickity-chick

Songster
May 1, 2020
Atlanta, GA
Hi everyone. One of my hens laid an egg that is pale opaque light almost in the yolk and completely different from all the other hens who laid who had bright yolks. A family member ate this egg today and ended up getting really sick. Is there something wrong with my hen? Is there something wrong with yolks that look like that to eat? Now he won’t eat the freshly laid eggs anymore because it maid him so sick. Any guidance would be appreciated! Thank you!

You had a strange yolk and you let it cooked and served anyway?
Your family member is being dumb for not eating good eggs anymore but that egg should have been pitched in the garbage.

A picture would help if you still have the egg.
I don’t still have the egg. But here is a picture of what he said it looked like. It was laid on 1/26 since I label everything. I didn’t know it looked bad until after he ate it and felt sick and told me about it. We are aware of how nutrition can change egg color- he attributed the light white color to being that the hen is at the bottom of the pecking order and didn’t get her big treats or enough nutrition. Here is an internet look a like picture

Attachments

• 04221CF9-6731-47A9-8FE4-40651A5FD11A.jpeg
    04221CF9-6731-47A9-8FE4-40651A5FD11A.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 7
I was served an egg like that at a national breakfast chain once, and it really turned our stomaches since we thought it was rotten. I sent it back because it looked like pus, LOL. But here is an article about how different feeds can affect the color of egg yolks:
https://www.myrecipes.com/general/ingredients/why-is-my-egg-yolk-white
Yes! He said he attributed the light pale yellow white color to the hen maybe not eating her big portion or enough feed that day- all of our other hens have bright yolks! Not so sure why he got so super sick if it’s just a less nutritious egg

Back
Top Bottom