Pallet chicken coop ideas??

so i got more pallets out from a warehouse near by. and started breaking them down. i use a crow bar and a hammer. and usually break a few every so often. other then the sawzall is there a easier way to break them down? i mean i get it down pretty quick but just wondered.

Spencer, I use pallet wood to make all sorts of things. I have made tables, shelving, benches etc...The sawzall method so far works best for me, but I did find a pry tool online that is made for taking pallets apart. It is called a Standard Pallet Buster & Skid Steer Breaker, and runs about $60. I am considering buying one (that can be returned if it doesn't work) and trying it out. Some pallets that you find are hardwoods, the wood is beautiful when sanded and stained.

Our pallet coop is built upon a 4' x 5' pallet using misc scrap wood... siding from the neighbors remodel project, cupboard doors from my moms tear-out, a scrap of metal roofing from uncle Al's project, a $60 second hand chain link dog kennel (in pieces mixed with other pieces like a really challenging puzzle since we had no idea what it was supposed to look like LOL), and a bamboo blind my neighbor threw out because it doesn't roll up anymore. I bought 2 metal waterers and a feeder for $15 off a Craigslist type local site. We also purchased a box of screws and 3 pier blocks to go with the one we had laying around.
Built for 5 hens, now housing 7 + roo who free range days. Expansion plans in the works will convert the secure dog run to 1/2 enclosed & 1/2 open air type coop with the small existing coop serving as a nesting house that can double as a brooder later on. Expanded run will be 100+ feet long by about 10 ft wide following an existing fence line and the back of a metal bldg. We only need about 50 feet of fencing to cordon off between 1000 & 2000 sq ft! I see more pallets in our future ;) I want/need more chickens, sans poo all over the gravel & porch LOL

PS: the big red dome is just a temporary tent canopy on bent PVC to shelter half the run from sun &/or seasonal rains. It's ugly but functional and we already had it on hand.

Last edited:
so i got more pallets out from a warehouse near by. and started breaking them down. i use a crow bar and a hammer. and usually break a few every so often. other then the sawzall is there a easier way to break them down? i mean i get it down pretty quick but just wondered.

I used 2 hammers... it seemed to be more gentle and less broken wook. For most boards I could get them off with only nail holes... no major breaking. I broke down 15 and it is a workout!!!! Lol

Got a bunch of pallets from tsc, just have some last details, roof and trim and some paint. I have six baby chic snow. The run will be 15' by 5'.

Our pallet coop is built upon a 4' x 5' pallet using misc scrap wood... siding from the neighbors remodel project, cupboard doors from my moms tear-out, a scrap of metal roofing from uncle Al's project, a $60 second hand chain link dog kennel (in pieces mixed with other pieces like a really challenging puzzle since we had no idea what it was supposed to look like LOL), and a bamboo blind my neighbor threw out because it doesn't roll up anymore. I bought 2 metal waterers and a feeder for $15 off a Craigslist type local site. We also purchased a box of screws and 3 pier blocks to go with the one we had laying around.
Built for 5 hens, now housing 7 + roo who free range days. Expansion plans in the works will convert the secure dog run to 1/2 enclosed & 1/2 open air type coop with the small existing coop serving as a nesting house that can double as a brooder later on. Expanded run will be 100+ feet long by about 10 ft wide following an existing fence line and the back of a metal bldg. We only need about 50 feet of fencing to cordon off between 1000 & 2000 sq ft! I see more pallets in our future ;) I want/need more chickens, sans poo all over the gravel & porch LOL

PS: the big red dome is just a temporary tent canopy on bent PVC to shelter half the run from sun &/or seasonal rains. It's ugly but functional and we already had it on hand.
Think I've officially named the coop..."De La Basura Blanca"

Back
Top Bottom