Pallet Coop cost $0!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChrisS, Aug 26, 2011.

1. ChrisS

ChrisS In the Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Gastonia NC
    I built this coop from scraps of wood on the side of the road. What do you think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I have a 4000 sft barn full of pallets must build breeding pens like that!! Great job!!!!

3. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Awesome!!! [​IMG]

I almost picked up more pallets today, then decided that my pallet doggy foyer still needs the flappy door attached, and the pallet duckhouse is not nearly done - perhaps this weekend.

Still - I had to buy some 'sheet wood', but the major expense for me has been hardware - screws and hurricane ties and whatnot. My doggy foyer cost me $25, and my duckhouse is running $100. I did buy wood, paint, and some hardware at Restore, but it was not free. [​IMG]

With Irene coming, I think I have convinced myself that a real coop (rather than this hutch) is needed for winter.

4. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Songster

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. [​IMG] I like it'

5. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Songster

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I would replace that chicken wire with hardware cloth. Raccoons can rip through that chicken wire. Or reach through. That is great that you did that for 0$, but I really would invest in predator proofing a little more. JMO. Good luck. Are you in the path of the storm? I would secure it down.

6. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    Actually, I am trying to figure out what looks like it has 4 legs and is hinged. [​IMG]

7. ChrisS

ChrisS In the Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Gastonia NC
    The chicken wire will be replaced either tomorrow or Monday, I just used what I had around to keep the chickens in for a few nights. And the thing with legs is the door, its a small pallt and those are the legs I didn't cut off. Thanks everybody!!

8. kfacres

kfacres Songster

Jul 14, 2011
    good thing you live where it's warm, and your worry is rain.... that wouldn't be worth a darn in our winters...

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:That looks like the door/ramp part. Fold it down to make the ramp so the hens can exit.

10. Flyboy718

Flyboy718 Chirping

Jul 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: