Pallet coop- tips and ideas needed!

Will you be using pallets in their current state? Or will you be using the wood from the pallets?

There's lots of people who say they've built a pallet coop but all it is is just the scrap wood from a broken up pallet.

Both ways are equally as good in my opinion but it's often really difficult to break up pallets without them splitting and just turning into useless bits of broken wood.

Because whole pallets are so strong, it might be a good idea to make the shape/frame from them.
I've used them to make firewood stores before. They're so useful!
Not sure yet, pallets have gaps in them though

Will you be using pallets in their current state? Or will you be using the wood from the pallets?

There's lots of people who say they've built a pallet coop but all it is is just the scrap wood from a broken up pallet.

Both ways are equally as good in my opinion but it's often really difficult to break up pallets without them splitting and just turning into useless bits of broken wood.

Because whole pallets are so strong, it might be a good idea to make the shape/frame from them.
I've used them to make firewood stores before. They're so useful!
I made 3 sides and the floor of a coop using whole pallets.I had to break apart other pallets to cover the slats. It took a lot of time but its stout .I've also made an extension to the coop using whole pallets.One side was made from scratch but 3 sides were made from whole pallets.

Attachments

• WP_20210811_15_17_46_Pro.jpg
    WP_20210811_15_17_46_Pro.jpg
    622 KB · Views: 21
I just put hardware cloth on top and have odds and ends to do but its finished now.Lowes had 1/2" hardware cloth on clearance so I bought (8) 10 foot rolls 24" wide and attached it over the rafter. A person could box one end in and make theirs a coop and run combo
The pallet run has a 50 ft section of pallet fence that connects to my existing fence around the yard. It keep any dogs out.

Last edited:
You could build it on stilts to maximize run area.
I personally don’t advise that, its a pain to get anything out from under it. I have a run with an area like that its also 3 feet deep and its a pain to reach the back I have to crawl under it, guess where the chickens like sitting! Unless you can reach all the way to the back I don’t advise it

Back
Top Bottom