Pallet coop...will plastic sheeting be enough?

kvmommy

Songster
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
I'm going to build a chicken coop out of and was thinking about lining it with the thick plastic vinyl sheeting that comes in rolls. That way the wind and water would be blocked, instead of using expensive plywood and to keep the light as much as possible. This would be only for the walls. I live in CT....do you think thats enough? I mean people use open front hen houses. So I need advice!

No its going to be between the slats. I don't know if its thick enough for the cold...but thats why I ask. I keep reading that chickens are fine from cold but not ok with drafts.

We put it around our run during the winter and it pretty much blocks all the wind. depending on how big the coop will be, and how many chickens. If it is a big coop, and not so many chickens, it might be too cold. If it a small coop and a good amount, it will probably be okay. Just a thought, in the summer, will it get hot enough that the plastic will start sweating? If it does, than all the wood will get wet. It also might raise the heat and humidity in the summer. It would be like sitting in one of those plastic greenhouses.

Last edited:
How wide are the openings between the slats? You've also got to think about predators, and a plastic sheet isn't going to stop anything much.

Good point guys. The slats aren't very big, but animals can sqeeze in pretty tight places. And I was thinking of winter, not summer. I imagine it'll be pretty humid in there...ok scratch that idea.

People who use open front coops are usually in hotter areas.
wink.png

They certainly can peck holes in 6 mil plastic sheeting if they happen to take it into their heads, but IME generally don't. If they did, you could always replace it. Most pallets have slats too far apart to be particularly predatorproof though.

namastemama, PLENTY of northerners use (and historically used) open-front coops, they just have to be large and designed right is all.

I think the o.p. is probably right to shelve the idea of plastic sheeting for the actual coop though... there are too many ifs and ways to go wrong, especially for a pallet-constructed shed-type coop.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom