Pallet shed ideas?

Thank you so much for informing me about that. I didn't realize it was against the rules. I just went to edit the post, though and it is not letting me pick that as an option anymore.

Thank you again. I see your comments and you're always so helpful and knowledgeable!

You can report your post and put in the line for reason that you want your age edited out as you didn't know the rule and a Mod will do it for you, no problem... :)

Very happy to help! Glad FMF showed off her awesome pallet builds! :thumbsup

I, too, like the hoop coop (from cattle panels for better support against weather/predators).

You could do a "pallet shed" also with a hooped cattle panel roof. Means no rafters to deal with, no lumber to actually purchase.

Here are some pics of some of ours. The hooped coops on 2x4 bases are all 8'x8' x just under 6' tall. The sheds are 8' deep. The pallets are 4'x4' and there are 2 on a side but the one w/ the blue tarp and the one labeled "boys" is wider than 8' less than 12'.

15sep9chix0882.jpg 15oct18house175554.jpg

14nov27feed0855.jpg 14nov27feed0857.jpg

14nov27feed0858.jpg 15feb19shed090.jpg

This shed is 8' deep (2 pallets) and 12' wide (3 pallets). I now have the right type of pallets to expand this one to 12x16... Will need a 3rd cattle panel for the roof and it will be attached a little higher on the inside of the pallets to make the extra width and still be high enough. Shouldn't be a problem though - we'll find out.

15mar7marepen1457.jpg 15mar7marepen1459.jpg 15mar21shed432.jpg

You can make your shed/coop permanent and "pretty" in a myriad of ways!

Also google pallet sheds - LOTS of pics and here's a great shed w/ all the instructions for build and lots of pics thru out the build. He also did a chicken coop & run later and showed that build partially or fully from pallets. Linked somewhere on the build pages...

Wood Pallet Shed Project

The "sheds" pictured above in my post were all originally supposed to be temporary. The blue tarped one truly was - being up and in use on that rented property from 5 November 2014 thru 19 January 2015 - when we brought the last load of ponies from the rented property to our new 21 acre site.

The ones for the boys and for the girls pastures were tied with haystring and tarped and we plan on going back and leveling those walls and bolting them together (as demo'd in the Wood Pallet Shed Project), putting the panels up permanently with staples or u-bolts or ?. Then plan on putting a solid roof on - have been looking at several different materials and haven't decided on which one(s) we may be using at this time. It's now been two 1/2 years! They've withstood up to 3" of heavy, wet snow several times, several freezing rains w/ over 1/2" of solid ice layered on the tarped roofs and the rain deluge (11" w/i 8 hours) and sustained winds from Hurricane Matthew in October 2016...

One of the 3 chicken coops needed a tarp replaced (it was previously used) and the boys shed has been thru 2 tarps - that first green one a well used, but free one from Craig's list and lasted most of 2015. Then 2 went up on it after that (both too small to cover it by themselves) - that doesn't work so well but it did survive Hurricane Matthew only to "die" sometime over the winter. Since we were going to put a roof over the panels, I never re-covered it! I just moved stuff around so that the weather doesn't matter to what's stored (no actual pony equipment or baled hay) ...

The girls' feed room is still using that oversized silver tarp - but the cats have done their work well (they think it 's their personal jungle gym or napping spots) and if you look up you can see a "starry" sky. I'm hoping it holds a bit longer - think we will be putting up this product - Solexx XP 3.5mm

Last edited:
I, too, like the hoop coop (from cattle panels for better support against weather/predators).

You could do a "pallet shed" also with a hooped cattle panel roof. Means no rafters to deal with, no lumber to actually purchase.

Here are some pics of some of ours. The hooped coops on 2x4 bases are all 8'x8' x just under 6' tall. The sheds are 8' deep. The pallets are 4'x4' and there are 2 on a side but the one w/ the blue tarp and the one labeled "boys" is wider than 8' less than 12'.

View attachment 1120747 View attachment 1120748

View attachment 1120749 View attachment 1120751

View attachment 1120752 View attachment 1120753

This shed is 8' deep (2 pallets) and 12' wide (3 pallets). I now have the right type of pallets to expand this one to 12x16... Will need a 3rd cattle panel for the roof and it will be attached a little higher on the inside of the pallets to make the extra width and still be high enough. Shouldn't be a problem though - we'll find out.

View attachment 1120756 View attachment 1120757 View attachment 1120758

You can make your shed/coop permanent and "pretty" in a myriad of ways!

Also google pallet sheds - LOTS of pics and here's a great shed w/ all the instructions for build and lots of pics thru out the build. He also did a chicken coop & run later and showed that build partially or fully from pallets. Linked somewhere on the build pages...

Wood Pallet Shed Project
The "sheds" pictured above in my post were all originally supposed to be temporary. The blue tarped one truly was - being up and in use on that rented property from 5 November 2014 thru 19 January 2015 - when we brought the last load of ponies from the rented property to our new 21 acre site.

The ones for the boys and for the girls pastures were tied with haystring and tarped and we plan on going back and leveling those walls and bolting them together (as demo'd in the Wood Pallet Shed Project), putting the panels up permanently with staples or u-bolts or ?. Then plan on putting a solid roof on - have been looking at several different materials and haven't decided on which one(s) we may be using at this time. It's now been two 1/2 years! They've withstood up to 3" of heavy, wet snow several times, several freezing rains w/ over 1/2" of solid ice layered on the tarped roofs and the rain deluge (11" w/i 8 hours) and sustained winds from Hurricane Matthew in October 2016...

One of the 3 chicken coops needed a tarp replaced (it was previously used) and the boys shed has been thru 2 tarps - that first green one a well used, but free one from Craig's list and lasted most of 2015. Then 2 went up on it after that (both too small to cover it by themselves) - that doesn't work so well but it did survive Hurricane Matthew only to "die" sometime over the winter. Since we were going to put a roof over the panels, I never re-covered it! I just moved stuff around so that the weather doesn't matter to what's stored (no actual pony equipment or baled hay) ...

The girls' feed room is still using that oversized silver tarp - but the cats have done their work well (they think it 's their personal jungle gym or napping spots) and if you look up you can see a "starry" sky. I'm hoping it holds a bit longer - think we will be putting up this product - Solexx XP 3.5mm

Thank you so much! This is really useful!

Yogifink - The temp one that I literally "threw together in a few hours" by myself while the ponies were housed in temporary quarters - the ends of the pallets (back of "shed") were tied tight to the cattle panel fence. Then strapped tight to the pallets in front. I think that they may have moved out a bit at the bottom a couple of times when shifting things around, my boarder who took care of all the ponies sometimes as well, moved it back, too. Wasn't a big deal for what it was.

The boys shed is set up the same here on our property - even using the same door as the back wall. However, I also have a 48x48 pallet as part of the back wall as well - didn't have that at the temporary one. I was actually looking at it the other day and it will need to be shifted back into position (left side when facing the front) - but it hasn't been corrected since I put it up (at least not by me). No, it doesn't have stakes or posts - just tied to the fence (with our ubiquitous haystring) and to each other. Here's a pic of the back of it from outside the pen (but w/i the boys' pasture).

View attachment 1121214

The girls shed is larger and it is set up a bit different. For one, the ground was much more level where I set the pallets and it was so much easier to strap together. But after seeing someone else's project with t-posts driven into the ground in measured spots, then the pallets put over it, I did the same. They DO NOT move... Probably why I've been able to "get away" with not finishing it yet, LOL... The one front pallet on the left does not have a t-post thru it but instead I measured & drove it into the ground, then placed the pallet so that it was tight between it & the pallet it is strapped to... It did move some, but not enough to matter for our purposes. I have the partial cattle panel as a gate strapped to the post rather than to the pallet - works better.

Also, you don't necessarily have to finish it right away (well, maybe do something for temp purposes). If you/your family don't have equipment and you can't rent it - see about taking a shop class (very hard to do here in NC since we have career tracks here and it can't be taken as an elective anymore if you aren't planning on utilizing for your projected career/college... All 3 of our daughters had to take some specific things relating to what they "thought" they were going to continue with) and being able to do part/all of your project there. Also consider FFA (if your school has it) - though what you do seems to vary widely depending on who is teaching and where you are (even here - our oldest was able to do that the first year thinking she'd learn more about other livestock, but she only got in on the plant part & was VERY unhappy and then didn't learn much. I was busy with a heavy, full time job and the ponies & full size horses at the time, so didn't learn anything thru/from her either, now wish we had!!).

If you don't have opportunities like that, check out Habitats for Humanity. I think you may be old enough if your parents sign all the release forms. You'd be amazed the amount you can learn and the help you can get (if nothing else, contacts for later) learning about building (at no or very little charge), the equipment you may be introduced to and taught how to safely use, and maybe later, have access to for your own projects (MAYBE).

Enjoy your build and have fun, too!

Thank you, I don't have access to most classes especially ones run through the school system because I'm homeschooled. My dad teaches me all sorts of carpentry and construction and all houses and fencing that I currently have was built by mostly myself with some help from my father when I didn't know how to do something. Which is fine by me because he knows his stuff (he's built and sold houses). Honestly I'm mostly just looking for ideas and what everyone else has done or would recommend doing. The information above it still wonderful, but for the most part not something that applies to my situation. I do like the idea of build something temporary especially because my family is looking to move withing the next year or so. My only concern with the hoop coop is that because I'm in New England and we get very cold and snowy winters that it won't keep them warm and protected.

What ever design or materials you use, have fun doing it and be proud that you built it yourself :) Too many kids around here think money grows on trees or something isn't as flash as what someone else has. My 15 yr old has been my offsider for years making fences, coops etc. I am proud of him for getting his hands dirty and now he is constantly wanting to make things :) His next project after welding my trailer is figurines made out of pistons from a couple of old engines we had laying around :)

What ever design or materials you use, have fun doing it and be proud that you built it yourself :) Too many kids around here think money grows on trees or something isn't as flash as what someone else has. My 15 yr old has been my offsider for years making fences, coops etc. I am proud of him for getting his hands dirty and now he is constantly wanting to make things :) His next project after welding my trailer is figurines made out of pistons from a couple of old engines we had laying around :)

Thank you! I most certainly will. :) I love to build things to improve my animals health or general well being. Especially if I can find an idea or design that leaves some of those dollar bills on the tree.;)
Plus it's a lot of fun.

Back
Top Bottom