Pallet shed ideas?

Lamaremybabies

Crowing
Nov 2, 2015
New England
I currently have two small coops one of which I bought super cheap (which I realize now is because it is super cheap) and is starting to fall apart, housing 16 chickens, 4 ducks, and a goose... Plus I have a broody with 13 eggs under her. I'm hoping to keep all females that hatch and sell the males, but I still have to house them. Anyways I'm looking for ideas and pictures that you all have on using pallets to make a nice looking shed. I'd also like to keep building costs to a minimum. I need to build something that is no smaller than 8'x8'

My other idea was to buy a metal shed since you can usually find them cheaper than the cost of building a nice wooden shed.

Thank you all so much!

I made mine out of pallets and some old timber lengths that were laying around. You can see the pic on my avatar. I even used an old trampoline that my boys weren't using anymore for the roof on one side (tin on the other side) and even used the legs to make the gate for the pen :) The nesting box was made from an old dog kennel with a cat flap on the side of it so I could gather the eggs :)

@Lamaremybabies just fyi, might want to edit your first post to omit your age... in regards to safety for minors, it is against BYC rules to openly post your age as a minor...

I always enjoy your posts, btw... and am refreshed seeing your resolve for the safety and well being of your charges... a good friend if mine has done incredible buildings with pallets, @Fields Mountain Farm can you post some pics of your barn and bungalows? Show what functional and pleasing looking can be done with less... :)

This might be my next coop as I am restricted on space now :) It's cheap and easy to make :)
Screenshot_20161228-080646.png

paintedchix - I like your hoop coop with the pallets, that's a pretty neat idea. How'd you keep the pallets from springing apart, did you stake them?

As far as a pallet shed, there are loads of plans I have seen on the web for building like this. I think you'll need to decide if your main goal is cheep or ascetics, however.

If you build a true 'shed' with pallets, all your really saving money on is the framing of the walls. You still need to construct a proper foundation or deck, sheet (plywood) the sides and roof, buy wood for rafters, frame doors/roots/nest boxes etc, and purchase hardware. For 3 bucks a stud compared to the effort and gas involved in collecting pallets, the decision is tough.

If you break the pallets down, I think you can get a lot more done with buying less. But of course, this means more work. (the route I like) Check out the link in my sig for aberdeen elementary.

For easy and effective, a hoop coop is the way to go. Some 1" pvc, wire and zip ties can get you a decent size coop for under $100.

If you're set on the pallets, the idea is relatively straight forward. Build a deck, then use pallets like sip's (looks it up). Sheet it, to keep everything from racking (shifting around) then put on a roof.

At your age, go for the creative route. Get some help from your folks building something and you'll learn some incredibly valuable life skills that folks will envy when your in your 30's and 40's. IMHO

No problem Ravyn, be glad to!
First pic show how the bungalow was framed in using pallets.
Second is the finished product, we salvaged a 6 foot privacy fence for the siding.
Third is my barn. It's not finished yet, hence the tarp wrapping it. When finished I can post pic if you'd like.
KIMG0182.JPG
KIMG0851.JPG
KIMG0852.JPG

@Lamaremybabies just fyi, might want to edit your first post to omit your age... in regards to safety for minors, it is against BYC rules to openly post your age as a minor...

I always enjoy your posts, btw... and am refreshed seeing your resolve for the safety and well being of your charges... a good friend if mine has done incredible buildings with pallets, @Fields Mountain Farm can you post some pics of your barn and bungalows? Show what functional and pleasing looking can be done with less... :)

Thank you so much for informing me about that. I didn't realize it was against the rules. I just went to edit the post, though and it is not letting me pick that as an option anymore.

Thank you again. I see your comments and you're always so helpful and knowledgeable!

No problem Ravyn, be glad to!
First pic show how the bungalow was framed in using pallets.
Second is the finished product, we salvaged a 6 foot privacy fence for the siding.
Third is my barn. It's not finished yet, hence the tarp wrapping it. When finished I can post pic if you'd like.View attachment 1121452 View attachment 1121453 View attachment 1121454

It looks fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing!
I'd love to see the finished product of your barn, when it's ready.

Back
Top Bottom