Pancake Mix w/ Protein!

ektoric

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 25, 2011
Greetings! Long time reader, first time poster here! Just wanted to share a fun story.

I was recently cleaning out a friend's cupboards (yes, a friend's, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!) and there was a box of pancake mix over a year old. Completely forgotten by humans, but not forgotten by bugs! It was disgustingly crawling all over with little natty bugs!

Most people would say "Eewww!!!" and run away, whereas I immediately thought "JACKPOT!!"

My flock of 4 took to the bugs immediately, but they didn't quite like the pancake mix powder. A little water from their waterer and a fallen branch to mix it with later, they were going crazy over "Pancake Batter with Protein!"

Not that I suggest you ask your "friend" to leave pancake mix in their shelves for over a year, but if you do find some bug infested flour, rice, etc., take a second look at those bugs with a new perspective!

That's a great story. Here's ours. When the chicks' yard was finished, we had a coming-out party (debutante ball?) for them. The cats had sardines elsewhere. The people brought chairs into the yard and had carrot cake. The chicks had their first pancake. A good time was had by all. May the flock be with you.

Funny you should mention that. My GF was going through the pantry today and looked in my box of grits... yup, bugs. She went to throw it out and I stopped her. She said "it has bugs in it!". I said "I know, I'll feed it to the chickens tomorrow". I might even cook them!

Back
Top Bottom