Panic stations please help.

I haven’t done the math but too hot is worse than too cool. You don’t want to cook your eggs. As long as it isn’t spiking super high I would leave it alone and just know you may have a little slower development.
X5
My broody was always leaving her eggs for a couple of hours at a time and on more than one occasion the eggs felt completely cold. I did only get 1/4 hatch, (but that wasn't due to the temperature more because she was in general population and the eggs got kicked out of the coop) didn't hatch till day 23, so what I'm trying to say is, it didn't harm the eggs in anyway, just slowed them down.

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya
I agree with the others your temps aren't crazy out of control. Not thrilled with the spikes but still not out of bounds.

Well to give you all a quick update. Today while I was in town I bought another thermometer. Got home and placed it in the incubator. Both thermometers inside the incubator showed the same thing (more or less) they were reading 34 degrees C. This was a shock as the digital display on the octagon was still fluctuating between 36.2 and 38. Thinking about it now it stands to reason as the incubator thermometer is in the lid. Obviously when there is a fan to circulate the air that reading would be for the whole incubator but without it was showing the temp at the highest point. Unfortunately this means my poor eggs have been at 34 degrees for over 24 hours..... I have now turned the temp up in the incubator to show a reading of 37.5 on the digital thermometer inside the incubator. I haven’t given up on them but aren’t feeling very confident now. Time will tell I guess.

Another update.... so yesterday my new fan arrived for my octagon 20, so I stuck a sweatshirt in the tumble dryer for 10 mins, then waited for it not to feel hot and went for the fan replacement.... Took the top off the incubator and dropped the sweat shirt over the top of the eggs. Wow how good is Brinsea parts. Under 10mins and fan replaced and back together (I am not a sales rep for Brinsea) However for a chicken lover who decided to hatch my own I couldn’t of asked for a better piece of kit. Also if it wasn’t for you guys then it would have been a different story. The reason I am so happy is I candled the eggs and after nearly 5 days of temp fluctuations 7 of the 9 have developed noticeably while 2 are still kind of and the other 3 look less promising but will wait until day 11 before I discard any. I can not thank you all enough for your great advice through this but as important was your words of encouragement and support. When it all went wrong with the incubator I was ready to give up but your advice made me persivere.
Still a way to go but thank you all.

Another update.... so yesterday my new fan arrived for my octagon 20, so I stuck a sweatshirt in the tumble dryer for 10 mins, then waited for it not to feel hot and went for the fan replacement.... Took the top off the incubator and dropped the sweat shirt over the top of the eggs. Wow how good is Brinsea parts. Under 10mins and fan replaced and back together (I am not a sales rep for Brinsea) However for a chicken lover who decided to hatch my own I couldn’t of asked for a better piece of kit. Also if it wasn’t for you guys then it would have been a different story. The reason I am so happy is I candled the eggs and after nearly 5 days of temp fluctuations 7 of the 9 have developed noticeably while 2 are still kind of and the other 3 look less promising but will wait until day 11 before I discard any. I can not thank you all enough for your great advice through this but as important was your words of encouragement and support. When it all went wrong with the incubator I was ready to give up but your advice made me persivere.
Still a way to go but thank you all.

I have to agree with the love of the Octagon 20s. I have 2 - and older Eco and an Avdance EX with the humidity pump , plus a Mini (in addition to a few more different brands lol)
The Octagons have always been rock solid. The Advance, I do have to set the digital temp a couple degrees higher. There is a calibration method, but it’s easier just to turn it up a little.

Not sure how your humidity is there, and which model 20 you have, but when lockdown time comes and you crank up the humidity, some folks have trouble getting it high enough without the pump. If you have trouble, come back here and we’ll give you some tips!

:welcome

Back
Top Bottom