Panicky in Tennessee - SNOW n LOTS of it...

Gammas Bearded Babies

Crossing the Road
May 24, 2021
Middle Tennessee
Ok yeah helicopter chicken Gamma here...
Got 3 silkies that are 9 months old out in a 10x20 run with tarp covering over half of run and small pre-fab coop inside run.
We are getting tons of snow and dropping into single digits later.
Rooster is standing in same spot for quite a while and crowing every few minutes.
One is broody (but of course) and won't stay outta nest box and I can't close up pre-fab in case they want in from cold/snow.
Like I said I'm a panicky overprotective chicken keeper...should I bring em inside garage?
I can't put them in with 7 week old silkies in the new 10x4 coop cause they aren't integrated fully yet.
Bad pic but gives more details. Arrow shows Mango just standing and not moving at all forever!

Attachments

• 16414858878936418500321662816936.jpg
    16414858878936418500321662816936.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220106_101932.jpg
    20220106_101932.jpg
    718.8 KB · Views: 5
As long as they are able to go inside coop as they please they dont stress! Im in west TN and my chickens are loving it
U got silkies? I feel like they are babies compared to normal chickens...but that could just be me LOLOL. Mine don't eat majority of what I give em and yet my friend's chickens eat EVERYTHING in sight - including all the things mine refuse to eat cuz I pass it on to hers!

And it's been well over 30 mins since I've been watching my roo and he hasn't moved at all! Just standing there.

U got silkies? I feel like they are babies compared to normal chickens...but that could just be me LOLOL. Mine don't eat majority of what I give em and yet my friend's chickens eat EVERYTHING in sight - including all the things mine refuse to eat cuz I pass it on to hers!

And it's been well over 30 mins since I've been watching my roo and he hasn't moved at all! Just standing there.
I havent had silkies in a couple years, they do seem to get wet easier than regular feathered birds but again I personally wouldnt worry too much. As long as they stay under the tarped portion they'll be fine in my opinion. Do they have to go through the part with no tarp to get back in the coop?

If they're dry and out of the wind they should be fine. :)

Chickens know how to be chickens better than we know how to be chickens.

Rooster is standing in same spot for quite a while and crowing every few minutes.

I was at work, but when we had snow flurries on Monday my DH informed me that my rooster (7-month cockerel), stood out there alone in it -- possibly keeping an eye on the situation to see if it was dangerous?

I havent had silkies in a couple years, they do seem to get wet easier than regular feathered birds but again I personally wouldnt worry too much. As long as they stay under the tarped portion they'll be fine in my opinion. Do they have to go through the part with no tarp to get back in the coop?
No...but Mango was turning white (he's black) from the blowing snow. Like a blizzard here - for Tennessee!
Hubby just redeemed himself!!! ❄
He said let's bring em in garage! 45 much better! For me and them!!!
20220106_113948.jpg
20220106_113955.jpg

If they're dry and out of the wind they should be fine. :)

Chickens know how to be chickens better than we know how to be chickens.

I was at work, but when we had snow flurries on Monday my DH informed me that my rooster (7-month cockerel), stood out there alone in it -- possibly keeping an eye on the situation to see if it was dangerous?
Yeah I know but it'll be much easier for me (I think) to take care of em in garage with my health problems.

Back
Top Bottom