Panting duckling? Don't think he's hot...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aduckstolemyheart, Apr 26, 2010.

1. kaleymichelle

kaleymichelle In the Brooder

Sep 12, 2014
    I have a pekin duckling he's about 6 weeks and he's panting real bad, he tries to stop so he can sleep, but then starts again, he's been in the water today, he does not have any discharge from his nostrils, should I try the kitty pool so he can rinse and snort ? I see this is not entirely uncommon for the pekin ducklings, I just want my little guy to get better :( he is shedding a lot too which I figure is normal

2. Hooperdooper

Hooperdooper In the Brooder

Jun 28, 2014
    Tolland , CT
    Mine stopped after a while but I do keep a kiddie pool into their pen all day. When she was panting, I tried to make sure she had plenty of water and had a fan on circulating the air when indoors. Seemed to help mine.

3. kaleymichelle

Sep 12, 2014
    He seems to be doing a little better after he got out of the pool I'm assuming some dead skin or dust clogged his nose

4. Hooperdooper

Jun 28, 2014
    Tolland , CT
    I think mine were about 6-10 weeks old when she had the problem. Hopefully yours will grow out of it as mine did. She is almost 6 months old now.

5. kaleymichelle

Sep 12, 2014
    Yeah I have two little boys, 6 weeks though one is bigger then the other not by much but yeah this was the first time I've seen him do it and it worried me, one other question, they are still on stater grow crumble, when should I switch foods and what to?

6. Hooperdooper

Jun 28, 2014
    Tolland , CT
    According to my bag of feed, you give them starter up to 10 weeks go with what hey call a grower / finisher for up to 18 weeks then go with the layer food. I've tried 3 different brands and they don't seem to eat it much. They forge in the yard when I'm home then I give them some defrosted peas and corn cause i heard it is good for them. They love kale too. Bought a plant and the graze on it every day. I just orders a book on amazon that is supposed to be a great reference for us beginners called "the ultimate pet duck guidebook". The lady who wrote it actually has a duck sanctuary near my home and I am planning a trip to see the place and hopefully learn something.

7. Hooperdooper

Jun 28, 2014
    Tolland , CT
    [​IMG]

My guys enjoying their kale.

8. kaleymichelle

Sep 12, 2014
    Aww they're so cute, thank you so much! One of my little guys has brown on his head that's faded over the weeks is going to completely fade away?

9. Hooperdooper

Jun 28, 2014
    Tolland , CT
    I don't know. My brown one is an Indian runner and started off yellow then white. Are they both Peking's?

10. kaleymichelle

Sep 12, 2014
    I believe so but they also have these marks, also I was mistaken the date they are only 3 weeks, maybe 4. Here's the marking [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: