panting ducks

You guys are making me tired just thinking about all you do! I admire your dedication! Goosedragon; that does sound very scary! I'm glad you told me about it, I probably would've had a full on panic attack if I found my ducks like that without any prior knowledge. It usually doesn't get that hot here, but if you live in MI you learn to expect anything from the weather!
roll.png
Thankfully I've been blessed with a big (low maintenance!) pond perfect for my spoiled duckies. With nearly 5 acres and 3+ gardens in counting and a dad addicted to gardening you bet we have a hose! only thing is it's about 3 acres away from where the ducks are! Anyway, as I said, they have the fountain and a pond so they should be good. What really confused them was there first summer hail/thunderstorm today. Did they take shelter in that nice duck house we spend so much money and time building for them? Of course not. They hide under some trees. Well, as long as they're okay
smile.png

When you people say you spray the ducks with the hose, your not like really totally spraying them are you? I know ducks bodies are able to handle the real cold weather/water, but I like for them to do so on their own because I feel like it might shock their bodies.(panting/real hot outside then spraying them with full stream of cold water) My ducks love to catch the over spray/mist of the water as I'm filling the pools or drinking bowls. Lucky, my Rouen baby (16 weeks old) he loves to bite the stream of water as I'm holding the nozzle under water while filling their drinking bowl. Its been real hot here too, and it don't take long for the pools & drinking water to get hot. I go out at lease 3X's a day to refill and or add fresh cold water to their pools & I currently have 4 pools that I empty at lease everyday fill with fresh water & add more through out the day. I also everyday& 2 or 3 times a day go out and spray their poop/wash it away SUPER GOOD. so its fresh outside not stinky or flies. My ducks pant for a little bit but there fine...thats how they help cool them selves down. ~Julie~

We had a hail storm few years back and do you think the ducks would head for some good cover.. N000000, they got into the Johnson grass that has gotten tall in the flower bed... I stood under the carport worried sick .. Then clap of thunder and lightning and I headed for the house.

Plus I feel guilty if their pool water isn't circulated at lease once a day during the cold days.( at lease half the water is emptied from each pool & fresh added) so water stays fresh & pools stay clean longer. ~even when its raining~ lol yes my ducks love me and my family thinks I've lost it..
big_smile.png
~Julie~

noone has mentioned this, which I am surprised about, but you can give them cool treats, they love duck crack (thawed frozen peas) and shredded lettuce, OOOO and my ducks favorite is a fridge chilled watermelon cut in half. they will love you forever.

I give them peas once or twice a day, and I almost never thaw them. Of course after so many peas they don't recognize other treats. I gave them lettuce once or twice and they can' figure out how to eat is.

Quote:
I have thrown frozen peas out.... they got mad at me.... They said that they were hard and they wanted their mushy peas back LMAO.... I am serious they really said that! Of course to me it sounded more like "QUUUUACKKKK"
lau.gif

Re: Lettuce or a cabbage mixture, I chop, chop, chop, chop, chop, chop, chop it up real good (maybe chop too much) lmao then I put it in a flat aluminum tin or even a paper plate for them to eat it off of, makes it easier for them to eat it all & my ducks & chickens love it. ~Julie~

Back
Top Bottom