panting ducks

the misting thingy looks "cool" not a bad idea...DON'T FORGET WHEN ITS HOT LIKE THIS, THE WATER WILL BE VERY HOT AT FIRST WHEN IT COMES OUT OF THE FAUCET/HOSE... just so people don't forget & turn on water then right away spray the animals or let them have a drink. ~Julie~

Quote:
The nice thing about the mister, as well, is it that the way I have them hooked up, helps cool down the water in the automatic waterer. I have them both hooked up to a "Y" hose nozzle and since the mister side is running constantly, water is not sitting in the hose heating up the water waiting to fill to the automatic waterer:)

Agreed, as well. The ambient temperature of water can get way hotter sitting in a hose in the heat, then the temperature outside. I scalded my hand not that long ago on hot hose water.

Last edited:
Eep! I'm (and the ducks!) glad it doesn't get crazy hot like that too often here! If we have another super hot summer like a few years ago I may invest in a mister, but with the pond they can keep cool. I'll keep in mind next time we have lettuce to chop it finely! Since we have gigantic gardens I like to give them whatever's in season for treats rather than peas all the time since we tend to have major surplus everything when it's in season! We don't grow peas though. Right now we have quite a bit of lettuce so I'll chop some up for them later! They do like the slugs we find on the lettuce!

Yes they like slugs, big fat worms, moths, pincher bugs, spiders, crickets, all bugs~ anything that moves. lol mine do anyways. I have dug up lots of worms & found slugs for them during our rainy days. Now when I'm getting them fresh water I'll spray the grass, plants & grapevines a little to stir up insects & the ducks go right after them. I 110% hate bugs especially crickets
hide.gif
so I spray the water then scream & run like hell. lmao mine also love tomatoes. I cut them in little pieces then drop them on the grass for them to eat. Some of the ducks are more crazy for veggies then the others. You know whats soooo gross is my chickens, they will stand around & wait while I'm digging & if they see some bugs they hurry and grab em then run with it. They seen a huge, gross potatoe bug & ate it i about died.. how gross
sickbyc.gif
lol ~Julie~

Back
Top Bottom