Paper Mulch?

Sallysec

Songster
7 Years
Aug 31, 2012
New York
Anyone ever use that recylced paper mulch for bedding? What about shredded paper? My husband brought it up to me as an option for bedding or nest box material and I was wondering if the chickens would eat it...possibly get sick?

Experiences anyone want to share?

I used shredded paper in ther nesting boxes, and some mixed with wood shavings in the floor of the coop. I wouldn't use 100% shredded paper though. I've just been reading about a product called Stall Dry, and am thinking that I will give that a try.

Thanks for the reviews...just came up in discussion as my husband was tossing out the shredder waste. I might use the tiny bit we have underneath some wood chips one day.

I tried wood pellets last October it did not far to well through the winter it froze harder than concrete.

Now it looks just like sawdust. I live in Canada and subject to -40º no heat or light in my coop.

I also have a bit of shredded paper added in but now you can not tell it is there. I find wood pellets (sawdust) the best bedding I have used so far.

The pellets are much more absorbent then wood chips. They swell up when they come into contact with water and disintegrate to sawdust.

I would not go back to wood chips.

I have never tried sand yet.

It is going on a year and I have not changed my bedding yet. The girls dust bathe in it daily.

I know it is going to make excellent compost for my vegetable garden.

Chicken coop is metal shed on the left.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom