Paper Thin Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by featherbaby, Jul 12, 2010.

1. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    I have one Silkie hen that lays paper thin eggs. All the others who eat the same foods and oyster grit lay perfectly find hard shells. What can I do to supplement her diet with more calcium? Is there another problem I should be looking at? I have liquid "calci-boost" but I don't know what individual dosage should be. It's too expensive to put in the water every day since it gets changed out 2 times a day minimum. Is this a one -time treatment for her or will I have to continue it forever? Any ideas??????

Oh, by the way, the other hens in the coop can't wait to break it and eat it. Yuuuucccckk! I can't be out there to stop them. I saw it happen last night. The egg had been laid less than 30 seconds and one of my other hens made a bee-line to it and broke it before I could stop her. Fortunately they have not broken any hard-shelled eggs.

2. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    Does she eat properly?? Maybe she's not getting enough food into her at all, and thats why her eggs are soft. If you set up a second feeder she might eat more, and get more calcium into her.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Do you offer oyster shell on the side? Maybe she just needs more than the others.

4. chickenray

chickenray Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2010
    Sonoma
    I am having the same problem. My soft layer is a pig and will eat all treats and keep the other hen away while see gobbles up everything.

We have a theory that she is not getting enough calcium because she fills up on treats.... So no treats anymore (for a while at least). It has been a few days but nothing has changes.

I wish you luck and if you come up with a solution please post.

5. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    What I do to give my hens more calcium is the oyster shells, of course, and I will make a scrambled egg *with* the egg shells crushed up in it. They LOVE it! Good Luck with your eggs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by