Paper towels VS Pine shaving

I'm using paper towels right now because we already have them. I like how easy it is to clean. In the morning, pull it out and all of the poop/spilled dirty food goes into the trash can. Lay out new paper towels and we're done. Takes less than a minute.

Am I the only one who does both?

Pine shavings ON paper towels are easy to clean up-pick up the 4 corners of the paper towels(I leave them joined up, not torn apart, when possible) to lift out the pine shavings. I don't do it all of the time but especially at first-when they're getting used to drinking water without spilling it everywhere (which we're still working on
roll.png
)

OR sometimes I put newspaper down under the pine shavings-same thing-lift out for easy cleaning, compost as you would.

I too use sand. It is three bucks a bag, so not terribly expensive. Just use two bags and change it about every two weeks. Usually end up using three bags in two weeks. I add some leaves in there just for the heck of it and they like to scratch it all up, we live in a very clay ridden area so all the sand goes to the garden for drainage.

I used to use shavings............... too much dust and a pain in the rear, never used paper towels. What I use is shredded news paper i really like it and it works very well, easy to clean no dust and doesn't cost a penny. Plus my chicks get an early education as they learn to read at a young age, I am currently using old copies of Poultry press.

AL

Quote:
So, shredded newspaper is ok? I keep reading "no newpaper because they can get spraddle leg". I am guessing that once it is shredded it is no longer slippery enough to be a problem? Just black n white or color print? I am new to the chicken/comopsting thing. Right now I am using papertowels and it is super easy, but can't use them for the whole time (too expensive).

If money is an issue I have heard lots of people use rag towels. You can usually get them from a thrift store for cheap and just wash them. Although the idea did not appeal to my mother, so we went for sand.

Quote:
you must not have many chicks!

That would take hours for me! In the smaller brooders I have used puppy pads, but with these brooders I am using the pine pellets. they don't create much dust and are very asorbant. Clean up isn't too bad- I just use a small shovel...think sandbox size shovel.

I have 4 brooders at the current moment and have 140 chicks ranging in ages from 5 days to 3 weeks old.

I put mine on kitchen (cloth) towels for the first week then on pine shavings or pellets after that. I want to make sure they know what they are supposed to eat and don't have any chance of slipped legs.

Last edited:
Quote:
So, shredded newspaper is ok? I keep reading "no newpaper because they can get spraddle leg". I am guessing that once it is shredded it is no longer slippery enough to be a problem? Just black n white or color print? I am new to the chicken/comopsting thing. Right now I am using papertowels and it is super easy, but can't use them for the whole time (too expensive).

I use those white sort spongy drawer liners in my hatching drawer and on the brooder floor under the news paper, I never have spraddle leg's ever, I just use regular Blk & wht news print It is truley effortless. here's an example

AL

News paper brooders.
10364_img_1246.jpg

no slip drawer liners in the hatching tray.
10364_img_1249.jpg

Quote:
you must not have many chicks!

That would take hours for me! In the smaller brooders I have used puppy pads, but with these brooders I am using the pine pellets. they don't create much dust and are very asorbant. Clean up isn't too bad- I just use a small shovel...think sandbox size shovel.

I have 4 brooders at the current moment and have 140 chicks ranging in ages from 5 days to 3 weeks old.

Your right, I only have 3 right now, but I have 12 more coming this week! So who knows, I might change my mind haha! I have read of other people using it with good success. I have heard about the pine pellets though, are they ones they use for horse bedding? Edit: just checked out your blog, 125 chicks! Yeah, I dint think I would use sand for that many!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom